“Marble” not codename for UI theme for OS X, iOS 3.2 not developed in secret

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jaw04005, Jun 22, 2010.

1. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

Maybe I missed the thread on this topic but …

Daring Fireball’s John Gruber has backtracked on “Marble” declaring it the codename for Xcode 4 (as some have speculated in the WWDC thread) instead of the unified UI for an upcoming release of Mac OS X.

"A few times since January 2009, I’ve mentioned “Marble”, a secret UI design project at Apple which I believed was a new system-wide theme for Mac OS X. E.g.: my MWSF 2009 predictions, and my WWDC 2009 predictions. Ends up I was wrong about what “Marble” is — and in fact, it was announced at WWDC 2010 this month. It’s Xcode 4.”

Also, he backtracked on the origins of iOS 3.2.

“As for why this week’s new iOS 4.0 doesn’t support the iPad, it’s simply a matter of timing. Apple wanted to start selling the iPhone 4 this month, June. The iPhone 4 required iOS 4. And it took less time for iOS to support only iPhones and iPod Touches than it would have to add support for iPads, too. I still believe that iOS version 4.1, planned for this fall, will be the release that unifies support across all shipping iOS devices.”

http://daringfireball.net/2010/06/marble_mystery_solved

So, basically, Gruber appears to know about as much as every other rumor monger in the Mac community.

2. SwiftLives macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

Well, he did know about the existence of "Marble" before most in the Mac Community. Gruber doesn't make many predictions, but he has a far better track record than most.

3. jaw04005 thread starter macrumors 601

jaw04005

Well, he used to anyway. Of course, he also said the leaked iPhone 4 was fake so his rumor credibility rating has taking a beating lately.

Kind of sad to see Marble go. It made sense considering the multitude of UIs in Mac OS X. Ah well.