— US stuck, still there

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Sydde, Nov 25, 2010.

1. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

My math may be off, but this Friday (the 26th) marks the day the last Soviet tank rolled across the bridge and out of Afganistan in the 80s, as compared to the length of America's present involvement there. The US has managed to unseat the government (one might say a second time) and replace it with some weird set of Unocal marionettes, but the state of the state seems less than ideal, barely even stable. And meanwhile, the real war is being prosecuted over in Pakistan, mostly, apparently, to our detriment, and the costs keep stacking up.

Honestly, it looks like bin Laden planned his strike just right, knew just how the Bush administration would mess things up, and still he can afford dialysis and cover. Then there is this TSA absurdity. How can one say that al Qaeda have not succeeded beyond their wildest dreams? How can one say they have not already won? Seriously, how can America ever hope to redeem itself, or at least extricate us from this nightmarish mess?

2. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Doesn't really matter since the US will collapse within the next fifteen years when we run out of oil.

3. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

One step in the right direction is restoring our standards of defending ourselves, not invading a country based on sham intel.

Find some other source for energy besides fossil fuels especially oil ASAP. Stop viewing the Middle East as an avenue for corporate profit and if we do help to restore peace it is from a neutral referee position. Stop propping up Israel when their policies are adverse to peace in the region.

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

This. Once oil is depleted in the Middle East, there won't be a reason for us to care what happens there.

5. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Assuming your question isn't rhetorical, I'd say the TSA absurdity is more a victory for the bloggers beyond their their wildest dreams.

6. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

Not happening, the Canucks will keep the US well supplied

7. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

I dunno man - Celine Dion was bad, but Justin Bieber is proof that Canada really ***** hates us.

8. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

pfft Our words are backed by nuclear weapons.

9. Axemantitan macrumors 6502

10. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Sorry, by "we" I meant the entire world.

11. Sydde thread starter macrumors 68020

Sydde

The TSA absurdity has been going on for more than 9 years, gradually getting worse. I cannot even have a Leatherman in my carryon, FFS. And every now and then, a new threat, just to keep us on edge. It is almost like we deliberately play into their hands, make it so easy for them. Sometimes I wonder who the real enemy is.

12. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

Peak Oil≠Running out of oil

13. KeriJane macrumors 6502a

KeriJane

Лапшу на уши!

We'll probably never know what on Earth is going on over there. Or over here for that matter.

If I recall, the Soviets played very hard in Afghanistan and still lost. Also, they were relatively close (compared to the US). So why are we there and giving our soldiers suicidal "rules of engagement"?
    Perhaps our government is trying to destroy our own military? As well as any credibility we might have left.

I can't make heads or tails of the actions of the USA government. :confused:
    Nothing appears to make sense but things are apparently developing along a set plan. So things make sense to someone. Probably either someone very devious or insane. Maybe both?
    Maybe the plan is to get al Qaeda to laugh themselves to death? Or possibly to give them a false sense of security? :confused:

One of my co-workers is over there now. :(

Oh well,
    Hoping for the best and wondering what is going on,
    Keri

14. Sydde thread starter macrumors 68020

Sydde

Thank you for adding the comic relief to this dark thread :D

15. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

But I believe the main thrust of the U.S. historical interest in the Middle East is petroleum based.

16. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Yes, because N.A. oil represents a tactical supply, for end-game use only. ;)

17. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

At what price?

Who knows, maybe that's when the US' plan to invade Canada kicks in...

18. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

lol ... Don't even think of that ... We will be forced to have Justin Bieber run our military ... then we will have you surrounded.

He make look harmless ... however it is the sheer #s of Bieberites that you should fear.

19. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Don't worry about that, we have already sold the store to you guys.

Just do some digging on the Web, and you will find that most of our oil is earmarked for the States, due to existing "agreements".

Bastards, these politicians.

And we came > < this close to losing control of 51% of the World's potash just recently.

Then good-bye food production on a grand scale.

20. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68020

SactoGuy18

That's making a lot of assumptions.

Given that a huge fraction of the world's oil supply has yet to be even exploited (China is looking at a potential huge find in the Spratly Islands between Vietnam and the Philippines, we've barely touched the oil deposits in the Gulf of Mexico and off the northern shores of Alaska, Russia may have a huge oil find just off the Arctic coast in Siberia, and the woeful underuse of the oilfields in Iran and Iraq), the very idea of peak oil is ridiculous.

And that's not including technological developments that could use renewable oil-laden algae to make gasoline, diesel fuel and kerosene coming online in the next 20 years....

21. Burnsey macrumors 6502a

22. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

China fully industrializing will dramatically increase oil consumption, let alone India

23. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

And its pretty damn unlikely that either will fail to fully industrialise.

24. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68020

SactoGuy18

Why do you think China's own oil companies express interest in the Stratly Islands, which may be on top of 300 BILLION barrels of oil by some estimates from geologists? That's a massive reserve, and given the very short distance from the Spratly Islands back to the southern shore of China, it means that will be enough to supply China's needs for many decades to come. And also, China has enough coal that coal-to-crude oil conversion may also be a viable option.

25. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Via GlobalSecurity.org

In other words, it's all a matter of wishful thinking.