£1400 to spend...what shall I buy?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by webcity, Sep 28, 2012.

1. webcity macrumors member

My poor macbook pro suffered a drop and ended up with a badly dented lid and casing, result being my insurance have offered me either a replacement Macbook Pro (current spec) or a £1400 Amazon gift certificate.

Having already replaced the Macbook Pro with another laptop due to needing one for work, I'm looking for ideas on what I could get with the £1400. A desktop crossed my mind but lets see what ideas come up :)

2. HenryHealy macrumors member

I would go for the MacBook Air. It's actually a great laptop, I personally think the 11" is a bit too small and the 13" hits the sweet spot for me. If I was to buy a new Mac now, this would be the one I would go for.

3. reardoma, Oct 1, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2012

reardoma macrumors member

rMBP

I may be mistaken, but 1400 british pounds is plenty more ($2200USD) than needed for the rMBP if you have an academic ".edu" email address.

Heck, that's actually just enough to buy one without the discount, so buy more RAM with the extra $$ and get a desktop that's mobile....

or wait a month or 2 and get the 13" rMBP that's due out and max out the specs if that size is more your style.

bottom line, as a former student that can pick up the rMPB for $1999 USD,
    I'd get a rMBP and enjoy the heck out of it!!