£1500 to spend on anything apple related

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by JazzyFizzle, Feb 5, 2012.

1. JazzyFizzle macrumors member

Im going to uni later this year and have recieved a scholarship for £1500. I already have a 15" MBP, an iPad 2 & an iPhone 4 and I would like to purchase more apple gear!

Should I sell my MBP, iPad, and buy the newer iterations later next year? Or should I buy a MBA for easier transport? Or an iMac for working at home?

Or should I spend it on other things like living costs etc.?

Opinions please!

Edit: forget living costs, that's already covered!

2. stridemat, Feb 5, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2012

stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

As you seem to have everything you need, why not save it. I came out of University with a truck load of debt.

3. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Thunderbolt display to dock with your MBP and save the rest? or save everything since you have the main Apple gear you need already.

4. JazzyFizzle thread starter macrumors member

Thing is, my uni course will require lots of GPU intensive tasks. My MBP is the early 15" with the 6490m. I could at least sell it and get the latest iteration in september (hoping there's a new one out). Or maybe I should save a ton of money and get a windows laptop?

The display idea is a good one, however I don't see myself needing it as much as a better laptop. I have a standard 21" display at home and rarely use it.

5. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

Went right on by didn't it..:(

6. JazzyFizzle thread starter macrumors member

Well I believe I might as well spend as much as I can, as long as it's not going to waste. At the end of my study I'll be in 40-50 grand debt. I only pay that off at 10% of my wages above 20k per year. Might as well make the most out of it.

7. And macrumors 6502

And

If you don't need any kit now, and probably you don't... 1) Save it if you are able, it might be you need something in the year after, or the year after that. 2) Essential books.

There's no point buying kit for the sake of it, your uni will have equipment that can handle any intensive stuff. You already have considerably better equipment than I had when I went to university, my uni kit was pen and paper!

8. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

That it did!

Each to their own. I just know that extra cash while at Uni is always useful. You could also think about what you are going to need after Uni? House etc

I came out of University with circa£30,000 in debt plus £2,000 Student overdraft. Then I had to fund the next stage of my life....

9. Yebubbleman macrumors 68030

Yebubbleman

Sell your 15" MBP and use the money toward a new one. Make sure all of your Apple things at that point have AppleCare. Then I'd say put the remaining money away in some sort of an investment account. It's not like money is a bad thing to have extra of with such a terrible world economy.

10. macsmurf macrumors 65816

macsmurf

Which courses are those? If you need real GPU power you should probably buy a cheap desktop computer with a good graphics card.

11. Yebubbleman macrumors 68030

Yebubbleman

If your MacBook Pro is new enough, this might not be a bad idea. Though if it's new enough, said GPU tasks would have to be pretty intensive to not be passable on a MacBook Pro. (Like Crysis 2/high-end CAD type stuff.)

12. 808? macrumors 6502a

13. JazzyFizzle thread starter macrumors member

Selling my current MBP and buying a new one Q4 '12 is probably the best option at the moment. The course is games design; animation, 3D CAD, etc. There are plenty of high-spec computers at the uni but it'd be nice to have something I can use at home.

As for apple care, I can get cheapish insurance for being a student. Is there any reason to get apple care over standard insurance?

And how long do you think it would take to earn some real cash from 5 shares? :p Good idea but I'd rather invest in something like a new laptop or 3 months rent!

14. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

Depending on the exact terms insurance can cover things like theft, destruction by fire, loss, accidental damage. It doesn't cover manufactorting defects. AppleCare is a warranty, it does cover manufactorting defects but not the things mentioned above. They don't really overlap.

However, read the link in my sig. If you purchase once you are at uni you shouldn't need to buy AppleCare at all, and you can get 15% off.

15. mattyb240 macrumors 6502a

Although it doesn't cover accidental damage, it would save making claims on your insurance. And as a student it gets discounted to like £50ish!