£199 for a faulty sleep/wake button.

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Soundburst, Jun 4, 2012.

1. Soundburst macrumors 6502a

Just back from the Apple Store and just thought I'd point this out to everyone. . .I'm actually pretty disgusted to be fair.

Had loads of Apple products, myself. . .so when I was using my iPad 2 last night and rather than use my smart cover I attempted to use the actual button - it didn't work.

Brought it down to the store (it's a Refurb as the original one I had , had the glue loose and the bezel was coming away from the aluminium) and he told me that it was out of warranty and that the Sleep/Wake button couldn't be repaired (I'm sure it cost about £5 to fix!) and that i'd need to buy a whole new iPad for £199. Awful stuff.

I asked him about a gesture I could use to turn my iPad off - and he said no, that's frustrating, but when it runs out of battery it would go off.

Eugh.:eek:

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Apple stores don't repair or fix iDevices as they have no capacity to and because the devices (excluding iPhone 4/4S) are not designed to be opened. They replace them. You were quoted a price for a refurbished replacement iPad.

3. Soundburst thread starter macrumors 6502a

So they glue them so much that they can't even open them to fix a £5 part. :S What happens to the faulty ones that get taken away? This is pretty horrific.

Can't believe that in Apples eyes the following two scenarios are the same:

1) You carelessly drop your iPad on the ground and it smashes.
    2) Your flawlessly shiny iPad sleep button breaks itself through no fault of your own.

Poor show.

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Apple is a company. They are out to make money, not to make people happy. The faulty iPads are shipped to China for recycling or repair. This really isn't any more horrific then other small computational devices or cell phones when they stop working correctly.

5. Ricky Smith macrumors regular

How far out of warranty is it? You can do the replacement your self or possibly take it to a third party store. If you had apple care this wouldn't be a problem.

As much as I don't like to say it "it's not apples fault". They don't see it as the same. They see it as you're out of warranty. Just like anyone else would.

The process of replacing the button overall is relatively simple. However apple shops are not full repair shops. They can't stock every single part or have someone on hand to do repairs for everything. I suppose they could, but to them replacing the iPad for customers in warranty makes more sense.

They offered you a standard out of warranty option. Go to ANY other company and try and get them to give you a replacement out of warranty for a significant discount. See what they say, they'll tell you to pack your bags and go home.

Also if you're from the UK the laws protect you don't they?

6. aristobrat macrumors G4

The faulty ones are sent to a repair depot where they are opened, and the non-faulty parts are reused to make other service replacement devices.

FWIW, this isn't anything new. This is how Apple has handled repairs on virtually all of their non-Mac devices, going back to the iPod a little over a decade ago.

Apple is probably not your only repair option. Here in the US, there are many other companies (and individuals) that will repair the specific component of your broken iPod/iPod touch/iPhone/iPad for less than the price that Apple charges to replace your entire device.

7. Soundburst thread starter macrumors 6502a

I think you'll find if a button broken by itself on another companies product they'd probably fix it for you (even for a small price). . . .not tell you to buy a whole new product. It's stupid and is horrific.

I'm not sure third party retailers could fix it due to the specific way the iPad 2 is made (with glue and no screws) - though I guess that's what Apple wanted . . .me to be stuck with paying for a whole new device so that they can take my FULLY WORKING iPad . . .fix the small button for a cost of about £5 and then sell it to someone else as a refurb for £199.

I must say in all my years with Apple what they've done today has turnished their reputation in my eyes.

8. Ubuntu macrumors 68000

Ubuntu

As an ex-FRS/Genius I can confirm that they don't repair many of the devices. For iPhones its really just the backplate that they'll replace if needs be, everything else warrants a replacement. The threshold was even lower for iPads, and in my own experience I never actually had to repair one, but just swap it for a replacement. This is done within the store, which as you can imagine will be absolutely packed so its just not sensible to take the time out to take apart the iPad and replace the button.

Also, they don't view those two scenarios as the same. Your iPad is out of warranty and they're offering you a replacement because they don't really fix them. It would be like them saying "Well we'll take it apart and install a new button but it will cost £15" except they don't take them apart, so they just offer you the replacement.

9. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

If I was a buy an LG smart phone and it's power button broken at the same age as your iPad's I'd have to buy a new one or pay a large sum for an out of warranty replacement. Same with any Samsung, HTC, or other smart device manufacture. What if the equals button stops working on my Ti-82+ calculator when the warranty is out? Will Texas Instruments replace it or fix it for free. No, I'd have to buy a new one or repair it myself.

Name global company that will repair a smartphone's malfunctioning button(s) in a phone and give you the same phone back. Zero. They don't do that because it's cheaper to replace the whole thing then it is to pay someone to take the broken one apart and fix it.

10. Ubuntu macrumors 68000

Ubuntu

The apple authorised service providers get their parts from Apple so it's unlikely they'll have the parts needed to do the repair, but do enquire. Either that or give AppleCare a call. Bear in mind the Apple retail stores are so busy that they can't afford to have some guy or girl sit around fixing your iPad - even if it takes 10-15 minutes - but an AppleCare representative might be able to do something.

11. Soundburst thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the info on that but I have no AppleCare after warranty stuff so cannot call them :(

12. Ubuntu macrumors 68000

Ubuntu

You can still call them, it might cost a bit but may be worth it to enquire. I'd still first check with the apple authorised service providers first, though.

13. Soundburst thread starter macrumors 6502a

It would be much easier to get a button on anything else fixed than an iPad.

But Apple make them in such a way that theyre nearly impossible to take apart and put back together by people outside Apple's manufacturing companies so that I have to go direct to them and they can repair my single sleep button on the cheap and then sell it on for £199 to the next unsuspecting out of warranty guy. Clearly you agree with such practices - and that's fine.

Apple make products with techniques that only apple can use. Therefore - in my opinion - they should offer you repairs since no one else can do it. Instead they know you've to pay for a whole replacement because of these techniques ruling out third parties fixing a single button.

----------

OK thanks I'll give it a go. :)

14. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

While it may be easier to replace a button on say a HTC Streak than an iPad, HTC still won't do it. Even the HP TouchPad, if it was still made, would be replaced instead of repaired. Even though they are very easy to take apart. You still haven't listed any global companies that will repair rather then replace a smartphone or tablet.

15. poloponies macrumors 68030

Of course they differentiate between the two scenarios. Warranty coverage is for manufacturing defects, but those defects need to become evident during the warranty period. Apple sells extended warranty coverage to cover problems such as yours that only become evident after the original warranty expires.

16. Soundburst thread starter macrumors 6502a

But if someone drops their iPad. . .even though it's not covered by the warranty - they'll offer the same replacement for £199. . . I might as well have just smashed and mistreated my iPad and brought it down to them with the screen hanging off - to be quoted the SAME £199 fee for a simple sleep / wake button. . .that makes sense. :rolleyes::eek:

----------

And as I've said to you - and you've conveniently ignored - ANY repair company can fix the products you mentioned above - because they're built using standard techniques. If this was some crappy Samsung. . .or even a £500 Samsung phone. . ANY NUMBER of repair stores would be able to save me paying for an entire replacement. Yet because it's Apple I'm limited to going to Apple to fix it - and they want £199 for their sleep/wake button so they can resell my fixed iPad for a price 20 times as much as it cost to fix.

iPad 2 is built using special custom processes using glue etc that only Apple's facilities have the ability to use.

This rules out third party repairs - where as those other manufacturers I could easily go to a third party dealer for a repair.

Third party's aren't available. . .and you can't go to Apple for repair - because they just want to replace your £5 part so they can sell it in an Apple store as a refurb for £199.

If Apple are going to make it impossible for anyone but themselves to open and seal their devices - then they should be forced to offer a repair facility for minor problems.

£199 for a sleep button. It's hilariously awful.

----------

Gave them a call. . .the woman said she understood my plight but "her hands were tied and she could put me through to a manager". I told her it was OK as I'm not one to cause a fuss and left it at that.

Needless to say I've told everyone I know, facebooked, and tweeted the fact that Apple wanted £199 for a sleep/wake button and everyone feels the same way - that its awful Apple won't repair it, or that no one else can repair it because only Apple have the ability to do so thanks to its manufacturing process.

17. musty345 macrumors regular

musty345

I feel your pain, the same thing happened to me.

Just go to a dodgy mobile phone repair shop and they'll do it for $15 or less :)

18. poloponies macrumors 68030

3rd party options are available, but they're not widely available. What you're missing is that whether it's a 3rd party of Apple, you're ignoring labor costs. Sure you can come in and say "it's a simple switch repair, but they have to stand behind their work and they won't give you any guarantees unless they open it up to make sure nothing else is causing your problem.

Apple bypasses that entirely. They're not charging you to diagnose, open and repair the device, they're simply giving you a certified new device.

The 3rd party would likely charge you a fairly hefty fee for diagnostics and labor. It is what it is. You had the option to extend the warranty which would have cost you less than a replacement. You chose to assume the risk that nothing would fail after a year.

19. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Any number of repair shops or any repair company? I don't know of anything outside a high school aged kid in his bedroom that would repair any of the devices that I've mentioned or an iPad that wasn't there own device.

20. astrorider macrumors 6502

IMO...

Just because it's a cheap part, doesn't mean it would be cheap to pay someone to disassemble an iPad and replace that button. There are 3rd party repair places that you can google to find other alternatives. What are their prices?

Sure, if it was a rectangular box with screws, i.e. built to what you refer to as "standard techniques", it would probably be easier to fix, but then you and I and the other several hundred million of people wouldn't have bought them. It's really kind of a moot point.

Apple isn't "charging you for a new device", they're giving you an out of warranty replacement for a discount. They have a one size fits all policy with regards to repairing out of warranty and damaged devices. That's what they offer, and I'm thankful they at least offer that. They're under no obligation to, and most companies do not.

21. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

Go back to the Apple store, and mention the sale of goods act. Even if the product is over one year old, consumer law in the UK protects you, (although the onus is on you to prove a manufacturing defect after one year). If they still won't help you, then you can give your local trading standards a call. They will be able to advise further.