£200/£350 monitor v 27"iMac screen

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Will10, Oct 2, 2010.

1. Will10 macrumors newbie

I’m in the process of purchasing a new Mac Pro which has nearly eaten my entire budget. I need to buy a new monitor around the £200/350. :(

I realise this isn’t much to get a great monitor but I was wondering if any of you could recommend anything around that price. I'm trying to get the best colour calibrated monitor (obviously not neutral colour for the price) but something I can edit and photoshop on without needing to worry too much regarding the 'honesty' of the image. :)

I will be using Final Cut Pro, CS5 (Photoshop, AfterEffects etc) Logic, Aperture, etc.

I found this thread regarding monitors which I found helpful. http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=913255

I’ve narrowed it down to
    • 23 inch NEC MultiSync EA231WMi - £224
    • 22 incc Dell UltraSharp 2209WA 22-inch - £190
    • 24 inch Dell U241 £350 (a bit much)

I also heard of a future 24inch Dell that apparently will use the same IPS panel as apple?

I've seen a lot of people editing and photoshoping using the 27" iMac in creative suites? Obvioulsy the iMac has a gloss screen. Just wondered how the monitors i've listed would compare to the iMac screen? And how 'honest/neutral' the iMac screen is?

Any opinons or advice would be most appreciated.
    Thank you very much for your help with this guys.:D

Will

2. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

That's a pretty small budget for a monitor. It would be a shame to get a brand new Mac Pro and skimp on the monitor. After all, that's the main way you will interact with this beautiful new piece of technology. If I were you, I would figure out some way to stretch my budget. There are plenty of 6 months same as cash credit card deals out there so that you can stretch the cost out over time without paying interest.

I've owned a lot of computers over the years and the times that I've skimped on the monitor, I've kicked myself.

Just my two pence. ;)

3. iCheddar macrumors 6502a

iCheddar

Pick up an older Dell display.

You should easily be able to pick up a WFP2408 for your budget.

4. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

I'll second that. The monitor is the interface into your computer. Don't skimp on that.

5. drambuie macrumors 6502a

Buying a cheap monitor is like buying a top of the line multi-channel receiver, then buying lesser quality speakers, and wondering why it doesn't sound good.

6. Will10 thread starter macrumors newbie

This is the dilemma I have?

• iMac 27inch quad core (2.93 Ghz) with 8gb Ram= £1,968,99
    • Mac Pro ‘Nehalem’ (3.2 Ghz) With 3gb= £2,319,00
    (I Intend to buy a 4gb stick for the 4th RAM slot to give me 7gb).

I’m spending £400 extra for the the Mac Pro as apposed to a maxed out iMac. On top of the £400 I’ll have to pay around £350 for a new monitor. So my Mac Pro will have cost me an extra £750.

Thanks iCheddar. This looks a good display.

I just wonder whether for the money I may be getting a very slightly quicker machine but not quite as good monitor; especially when I do have to do Photoshop and editing work. I have seen creative suites editing and photoshoping on iMacs?:(

So I wonder whether the Dell 2408wfp 24” is as good a screen as the iMac 27”
    And whether the extra £700ish quid is money well spent?:confused:

7. Will10 thread starter macrumors newbie

The best IPS monitors at my small budget are the

NEC MultiSync EA231WMi 23"= £260
    Eizo Flexscan S2243W 22" = £390

I just wonder how well these monitors compare to the IPS 27" iMac screen (apart from being smaller):). I need it for editing and photoshop work?

Many Thanks
    Will