£200.00 for a brand new iPhone 4 deal (sim free, unlocked)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DryEyez, Oct 24, 2011.

1. DryEyez macrumors 6502

So I was browsing macrumors today on my lunch break, when I saw an advert at the very top of the page. I couldn't find any reviews of the website except one blog post about the site, but no one who had actually had experience of purchasing from the website itself.

No doubt it is a scam, too good to be true, but has anyone or know of anyone who has had experience with this website at all?

http://www.ipodnano5gsale.com/

2. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

don't even have to click the link to know a site with a name like that is a joke.

3. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

No business address on the site or phone number. Don't even bother!!

4. DryEyez thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah I figured as much, but in life if you don't ask you don't get. Just due to the fact it popped up on macrumors I thought I would check.

5. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Sorry but it is not even clicking on the URL to look.

What do YOU think?

6. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

the ads you see here are not sanctioned by mr...they are google driven.

7. PheasantPlucker macrumors newbie

So are we saying it's a no go? I found the site from a Google AdWords ad also. It's a great deal !!

It's so difficult to tell. It's a shames there isn't a verified badge for eCommerce sites similar to Twitter

Whois:
    Domain Name: IPODNANO5GSALE.COM
    Registrar: BIZCN.COM, INC.
    Whois Server: whois.bizcn.com
    Referral URL: http://www.bizcn.com
    Name Server: NS1.4EVERDNS.COM
    Name Server: NS2.4EVERDNS.COM
    Updated Date: 30-apr-2011
    Creation Date: 30-apr-2011
    Expiration Date: 30-apr-2012
    GEOIP:
    Region:California
    City: Los Altos

8. DryEyez thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah it's a no go...even though every fibre in my body tells me it's obvious scam, the 1% still got excited....:cool:

9. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

Seriously? How many people do you need to tell you to stay away? It's so difficult to tell? OMG. No wonder people get scammed.

If you're so convinced it's a "great deal"*, why don't you order something from them and let us know how that goes.

Or maybe you could spend 30 seconds investigating, and you might find this...

http://www.servicecare.co.uk/

*A great price and a great deal are not the same thing. Anyone can advertise a great price...that doesn't mean it's not a scam. A great deal implies a transaction...someone has actually bought and received something for a great price. A deal is done. A price is a means to a deal. Learn the difference.

10. PheasantPlucker macrumors newbie

OK mate, don't have a cow about it!

Found an article on the website http://www.itproportal.com/2011/10/...ed:+itproportal/rss+(Latest+ITProPortal+News)

I bet they're receiving orders willy nilly from Grandma's and Grandpa's thinking they're getting a great deal for their Grandson/daughter/hermaphrodite

11. buddytod macrumors newbie

A Scam....YES!!

Yea, I know....what an idiot! I fell for this Sunday evening (could not verify anything properly). When I saw the ad in Google it was linked to Ebuyer, who I have dealt with many times before. I soon discovered that the "company" apparently supplied catalogue returns, minor damage, repaired faults etc and £199 for refurbished seemed very very cheap but what if? As I went through the payment process I fully expected something to 'flag up' but it didn't. At the end of the transaction it even used the Visa 2nd line of security i.e 3 digits from the password and I have always thought that security procedure was linked to Visa recognised merchants. Well of course they have debited my account and obviously I will hear nothing from the 'Company'. A very professional looking web page and a deal too good to be true plus a gullible idiot....and I thought I could never be conned!

12. reclusive46 macrumors 65816

reclusive46

Did you use a credit card? You can get the money back if you did.

13. buddytod macrumors newbie

Debit card...got to wait 15 days to see if it arrives:rolleyes: The bank will then try to claim the money back...good luck with that then! An expensive lesson.....

14. DryEyez thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm very sorry to hear that you've become victim to this. I would have been, but since joining MR I thought I'd ask here first...I figured they were either refurbished, or perhaps refurbished blocked US phones that they were reselling in UK? (Far fetched hope I guess...)

I don't think you can claim the money back with a debit card though...you can claim it back if it is the same day I believe but other than that you might be out of luck :confused:

15. Alex Jolly macrumors newbie

Apparently not the real deal

So i saw the same deal from www.ipodnano5gsale.com. Checked it our with the apple store who said there was no way they could sell for that price. then went to check out the about us page. only an email address to reply to...sounds dodgy. then they mention an affiliate company...

"our company is a wholly owned subsidiary of Servicecare Support Services Ltd and has been specifically formed in partnership with many leading manufacturers to re-market graded products."

Went to check out their website and the first thing you see is a big statement saying they have no affiliation with this iste.

Completely fake. you might get a phone but not a real i phone. the apple guy said he'd had lots of people come in with apple products which looked like the real thing but weren't.

16. senorFunkyPants macrumors 6502

senorFunkyPants

In case anyone comes back to this...I got caught out buying an iPod nano from a similar site a year or so ago and paid using my bank debit card.
    Anyway long story short - I called my bank not long after making the purchase and they advised me to cancel the card I used ASAP as there may be a small time window before the payment hits your account and it will be rejected if the card is cancelled. Luckily I was in time and the payment bounced.

17. hammerboy22 macrumors newbie

Dont touch ipodnano5gsale

HI I AM AFRAID I WAS STUPID ENOUGH TO ORDER THE SO CALLED i Phone 4 for£200. like another post i read i fell for the scam., after about 5-6 days and a lot of e-mails from myself i received a tracking number and told the phone was on its way about a further 5 days it arrived . The phone was in authentic Apple packaging and really did look the the part , it wasnt a cheap looking copy and so i contacted my provider and ordered the micro sim card needed.
    When i put my sim card in i made a call , worked fine & i also received a text from t-mobile , but when i linked it up to my laptop it wasnt recognised by itunes could only get on the internet thro wi fi. and that was basically it ,it had safari but when selected connection failed nothing else really worked , nothing could be downloaded , i tried to download mini opera 4.4 which was recommended when i tried to find out why safari didnt work but half way through the download it stopped because it said the memory was full . Set language to English but there are loads of links and apps that stay in chinese without the option to change or delete. its recognised by windows as a camera
    I spoke to someone at apple who confirmed what i now already knew that it was fake & they are going to give me a letter to confirm it to help me to try to recover my money. My further e-mails have not been answered so i cant find out return address etc so ive been told by Barclaycard to hang onto itwhilst they fight my corner. What the Apple rep said was there may be possibilities for software upgrades that could possibly make it better than it is but doubtful it would work & its never going to be what it says on the box , so if there is anyone as daft or gullible as i was please dont do it . Hope this can be helpful to somebody thanks for reading robert

18. vinn1 macrumors newbie

iphone copy

Hi you say yours worked as a phone mine spends most time invalid sim has connected once but then back to invalid simm, you say not much else works my wifi and internet work on it bluetooth etc just dont connect to itunes or be a phone its not bad as a gloryfied mp3 etc player Cheers Vince:D