£207 for iphone 3G

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tommyGB, Apr 17, 2010.

1. tommyGB macrumors member

tommyGB

Hi guys,

Will my iphone sim card work in a standard rubbish phone?

I have been offered £207 from a big company to recycle my iphone 3G 16gb. Do i do it? I could put my iphone sim card in a rubbish fone for the nxt 2 months then use the 207 to pay for the new fone?

As i see it i have 2 options:

1 Continue with current iphone till june and upgrade

2 cash in get £207 put sim card in rubbish fone then upgrade phone to new iphone june. thus keeping number thru out.

Does anyone see any problems with option 2? im on o2 btw if that helps.

Cheers

Tom

2. Abusive macrumors newbie

I don't think you should sell-up!

no £207 is way less for a 16GB! have you tried CEX or other mobile shops they will offer you a better deal depending on the condition of the phone.

3. Merkie macrumors 68020

You're SIM card will work in 99% of the phones without any problems, why wouldn't it?

4. tommyGB thread starter macrumors member

tommyGB

i js looked and for my iphone 3G in good condition they will give £202/239 for good/mint condition.

Cheers tho

5. tommyGB thread starter macrumors member

tommyGB

i dunno, I js thought o2/apple were strict about how you use their fones. But can I last 2 months without an iphone lol?

6. skball123 macrumors regular

I would ebay/craigslist it. you will get much more that way.

7. tommyGB thread starter macrumors member

tommyGB

220 on ebay.

Royal Mail Simply Drop (the peeps who quoted £207) state that it cannot be subject to contract. Now i do have a contract on this phone. But I cancel at any point as the 18 months have gone by. Will i have to cancel the contract before sending it in? if so im going to lose my number :(

8. plymukiphone macrumors newbie

I can recommend cashinmyphone. Google compare mobile phone recyclers and they will give u a list of best prices

9. Penguissimo macrumors 6502a

Penguissimo

If you're on O2, by far your best option is to take advantage of this:

http://shop.o2.co.uk/update/unlockmyiphone.html

A factory-unlocked iphone will sell for WAY more than £220 on eBay if it's in anything approaching good condition.

10. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

over on avforum's classified section 16gb 3G's in good condition can go for like £240 - £260

11. androiphone macrumors 65816

1. I say get it unlocked from o2 then sell it (you will get a ton)

2. then move to a one month sim only deal (you can always keep your number eaven between networks) o2 simplicity there is a drop down for ones for smart phones

3. then when the new iphone is released buy it payasyougo with the money you have saved and then change the simplicity tarrif to this or if you want to save £5 a month and sign up for 12 months use this (again you dont loose your number)

doing this you will not be locked into a 18 or 24 month contract and WILL work out cheaper than buying it with contract AND then if another iphone (or any other phone) comes out you will be able to buy it with ease by doing the same as now and you will get more money because your phone would only be a year old rather than two - best way IMHO

Infact the payandgo iphone comes with unlimited internet for 12 months when you bought it so depending what you use min/text wise you may even get it cheaper than using an iphone simplicity tarriff, whichever you choose I wouldnt go locked into a contract as you wouldnt be saving any money and you woulnt be able to upgrade untill your 17 or 23 months in

12. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

Nah, just phone O2 and tell them to transfer you onto a simplicity or payg plan. You'll keep the same number and sim.

I think you'd get more selling it unlocked as well btw, but this is certainly easier.

13. tommyGB thread starter macrumors member

tommyGB

Thanks everyone for the advice.

androiphone thanks for the step by step. I never really thought about pay as you go. Would be nice to be able to upgrade every year as well as working out cheaper.

This is definitely food for thought. Js done sum quick sums.

using andriophone method of the pay as you go route and assuming i can get £250 for my iphone.

the new iPhone 32GB over 12 months will cost £549 (pay as you go)
    the same iPhone over 12 months is £659 (£899 on an 18 month contract)

The only problem with the first one is that I will have to find £299 upfront where as the second i will be £80 in credit if I sell for £250.

Hmm its in v good condition no screen scratches a few on the back but no biggies. I guess it comes down to wether i can find £299 in the next few months.

Anyways guys thanks for all the advice and links :)

Tom

14. tommyGB thread starter macrumors member

tommyGB

thanks for the link. You really can get more than £200 lol

Any advice on selling over the net? I know AV fourms is reputable but may be not some of the members :p

Tom