£25 to upgrade to iPhone 4 - unlocked via O2 in 5 days!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mattwood, Jun 29, 2010.

1. Mattwood macrumors member

Mattwood

Well my girlfriend upgraded her iPhone 3G contract to iPhone 4

O2 gave £180 recycling fee for the 3G and she had to pay £25 to upgrade (price difference in handset)

She continued her £30 a month tariff for another 18 months.

I filled in the O2 unlocking form using my account details,after they unlocked my 3Gs at christmas after upgrading to it in December.

Guess what they unlocked the iPhone 4 :) so if you know someone with an iPhone contract already get them to fill in the details on O2's unlock form.

We now have an unlocked iPhone 4 for £25 :) saves a bit from the £500 we would have had to pay from apple!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

thats Orange Wednesdays sorted :D

2. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

Yes, you've paid £25, and you're going to pay £30+ for the contract. So it's not £25 at all....

3. Mattwood thread starter macrumors member

Mattwood

she would have continued to pay that anyway. this way its saved a F load of £ than getting a unlocked handset from Apple.

4. nazuk macrumors 6502

nazuk

Some people are just terrible at maths!

...you need a calculator.

/enuff said

I only pay £20 per month for the same 'contract'
    ...plus I can cancel anytime (Simplicity tariff).

5. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

lol

OP, do the math. Seriously, do the math.

£25 + £540... well. I'm sure my £500 iPhone is cheaper....

Where's that £540 come from?

10 months x £30 per month.

6. nazuk macrumors 6502

nazuk

No point explaining to the guy, marketing people love people like him.
    They 'think' they've got a bargain, lol.

"One sucker born every minute" - says the: Marketing Guy

7. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

My degree could lead me to be a marketing guy :eek:

8. nazuk macrumors 6502

nazuk

9. Mattwood thread starter macrumors member

Mattwood

Its you guys who don't see the point as you have the 3 or should I say $ signs in their eyes only.

She would have payed more than £500 as she would have had to have a £x per month SIM plan for what she needs

Its MY plan that has got the handset unlocked! not hers! go call O2 or you network up see if they will unlock your iPhone 4 yet?

the point is she upgraded, but as we have 2 plans I managed to get O2 to unlock the handset within 5 days by saying it was on my contract!

so yes over all it will be a saving! she would have had to spend £500 + her pay monthly plan (rolling month contract or not)

so it is really a saving if you look at it that way 12 or 18 months at £20 or £30 + £500 for a handset from Apple.

where as she's got £540 for line rental for 18 months and £25 for an iPhone 4.

2 ways to look at things.

Also anyone who has an unlocked handset from Apple who use an O2 SIM will notice when syncing the same unlock page in iTunes.

basically the same deal.

10. Mattwood thread starter macrumors member

Mattwood

work it out, you obviously went for £20 a month other than prepay as you need the minutes etc.

so you'll need that for how many months? call it 4, + the price of a 16GB iPhone from Apple. your over the price we're paying.

you need the calculator not me.

11. brightlights macrumors regular

Actually no, you are still wrong. For some reason you are deducting the price of the recycled iPhone from the O2 price, but not the Apple price. And the £30 iPhone tariff is only £15 on simplicity.

An iPhone from Apple with £15 simplicity is cheaper over two years / 18 months than the exact same on contract... even before adding this extra £25 for unlocking.

Still good that they unlocked it though!

12. Mattwood thread starter macrumors member

Mattwood

would have recycled a handset to go towards £500 at an apple store for an unlocked iPhone 4. + as previously mentioned we need a contract for minutes and texts.

I it would still be cheaper recycling and going with O2 than recycling and going with apple!. we would have been paying £30 a month for line rental with O2 for the minutes etc as I am on O2 so we stay to the same network for the cots of calls etc between us both!.

so thats £540 for line rental (term of contract) + £25 for an unlocked iPhone 4 with £180 recycling cost in store when upgrading.

if it wasn't with O2 recycling all other UK companies offer £150 or less + £500 for an unlocked iPhone + £540 line rental for term of contract.

Again works out cheaper!

cost of owner ship as is £565
    going with apple and simplicity on £20 a month for 18 months £680 if you can get £180 else where for the old 3G.

yeah I need a calculator guys...

also ALL of you fail to see the fact that after 5 days you can get an iPhone 4 unlocked from O2!!!!

13. brightlights macrumors regular

Your maths is so dodgy.

---

The phone from Apple is £500, minus the £180 recycling (you can recycle with O2 without buying a new phone from them, I did).

So thats £320 for the phone.

Then the cheapest O2 Simplicity contract (which is actually BETTER than the £30 a month O2 iPhone contract - with more minutes and texts) is £15 a month for 18 months...

15x18 = £270

Total price = £590 over 18 months.

---

From O2 it was £25 after recycling.
    Then the contract is £30 x 18 = £540.

Total price = £565 over 18 months.

---

So the contract phone is marginally cheaper, but nothing like to the extent you were suggesting.

If I wanted to argue then I would point out that the SIMplicity route is a shorter contract and more minutes and texts, but I actually think both are pretty good deals!

14. Mattwood thread starter macrumors member

Mattwood

Dodgy maths yet also confirming its cheaper? go figure?

so your changing the price of line rental. you know what F it lets say its £10 a month as a pay an go handset!.....

its still cheaper thats it! sorry I stuck to my guns and proved its cheaper!

Aslo check O2's site its not offering £180 anymore its only that when you upgrade only! its £154.50 from their recycle site..

pick fault all you want but read all posts I have put! ITS CHEAPER FOR US. I NEVER SAID ITS CHEAPER FOR EVERYONE! ALSO I WAS TRYING TO STATE THAT O2 ARE UNLOCKING HANDSETS FROM DIFFERENT CONTRACTS SO GET IT DONE WHILE YOU STILL CAN AND IT ONLY COST US £25 OTHER THAN £500 FROM APPLE!

at the end of the day you can all keep being sad gits trying to work a way that your not feeling so bad wasting all that money trying to justify a SIMplicity contract other than the end it in a month line which will still = a loss compared to what we have/will be paying

15. brightlights macrumors regular

You seem nice, I hope one day we are best friends.

16. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

Brightlights, you seem to assume that the user makes no calls using the iPhone, or doesn't go over charge.

There's also the other simplicity one, 30-day rolling contract, which you can stop whenever you want :D