£30 a month offers so little

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Zimpaz, Jul 7, 2008.

1. Zimpaz macrumors regular

I was just wondering why there is such a massive difference between the texts and minutes offered by the £30 a month contract compared to the 35.

I would like to only pay 30, but 75 minutes and 125 texts is hardly anything!!

2. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

O2 devised the £30/month option for one reason ...

... to make you upgrade your decision to enroll on £35/month instead.

R-Fly

3. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Remember, to make the £35 per month contract worthwhile you need to go over these limits each and every month and spend more than £5 on the additional texts/calls.

I for one am going for the £30 per month option when I can finally get my upgrade through.

4. Zimpaz thread starter macrumors regular

If i took out the 30 contract and found i was going over a lot, is it possible to upgrade to the 35?

5. barryallott macrumors member

shows the profit margins

Basically mobile contracts work like this.

you pay per month * 18 months

they get this say you pay 30/month = 540 + £99 for 8GB phone = £639

this means that this £639 needs to pay for

Cost of phone from Apple
    Cost of O2 Equipment (mobile masts data usage etc, costs to other networks in call fees)
    Cash to seller for selling phone (in case of WEB it goes to profit)
    Cost of unlimited data
    Guaranteed profit

Remember that when you call someone else on another network it costs O2 to connect the call, so on a cheap tarrif like £30 after all other costs there wont be much left to pay the other networks in connect calls costs. thats why higher tarrifs have more minutes because O2 can afford to pay to connect the calls. Also remember that the line Guaranteed profit comes before anything else for O2.!!

6. Igantius macrumors 65816

Yes, pretty sure that you can 'upgrade' to a higher tarriff at anytime. If you weredoinjg it the other way (e.g. £45pm to £35pm), you have to wait nine months to do so.

7. MacMalv macrumors regular

i was going to go for the PAYG option, but now it isn't available, i decided to go for the £30 option. I don't really use many minutes and less texts then the allowance so i think it is not tooo bad. I would prefer PAYG but i want the phone more!!!