£47($72) for apple care or £62($95) for 4GB Ram

mansa

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 14, 2009
After considering the white macbook (don't like the quality) I am about to order a 13" macbook pro for my wife. I get student discount on the order and was wonder whether a) apple care was worth it and b) whether it was worth upgrading the memory. I have seen that crucial 4GB memory upgrade is over $100(around £95).

My wife will by running VM fusion watching movies HD I have personal found that I need the 4GB in my 2.4 unibody macbook.

If it was me buying I would spend but my wife is ore cash conscious Any thoughts ?

Thanks !

£47($72) = Apple care

£62($95) = 4GB Ram

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Are you buying through higher education store? If so, you get automatically 3-year warranty so AC may not be worth it so I would get the RAM instead

mansa

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 14, 2009
Are you buying through higher education store? If so, you get automatically 3-year warranty so AC may not be worth it so I would get the RAM instead
Yes its from the higher education store UK. I didn't see the 3-year warranty in UK offer I will check though thanks.

iMacThere4Iam

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2009
A simple rule of thumb when purchasing electronic devices: If buying for yourself, get the Apple Care. If buying for the missus, get the memory, and tell her the insurance plan is, "don't drop it."

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland

mansa

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 14, 2009
It IS in United Kingdom. That's why the AppleCare is only 47£ because you only get the phone support. I can't access the HE store but see this thread. Unfortunately it doesn't apply to other countries but OP is obviously from UK as the prices are in £
Thanks it is correct 3 years warrantee ! I just ordered they were still trying to hard sell the apple care. After asking the they said "so do you want to add apple care" lol the guys are just trying to to hit targets so I dont blame them but they dont tell you about the 3 years unless you ask as I cannot access the HE site from home.

Thanks again.

Loono

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2009
As a student you get the standard 3 year warranty and 1 year phone support.
Buying the Apple will simply give you 3 year phone support instead of one.

I didn't buy Applecare because I always take my mac to the store if I got any problems.
Phone support is good if you don't live near any Apple store, where you call in and they send you a box to put your mac in and send it back to them... service takes longer obviously. Also you get free advice etc... usually £35 per consultation.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
As a student you get the standard 3 year warranty and 1 year phone support.
Buying the Apple will simply give you 3 year phone support instead of one.

I didn't buy Applecare because I always take my mac to the store if I got any problems.
Phone support is good if you don't live near any Apple store, where you call in and they send you a box to put your mac in and send it back to them... service takes longer obviously. Also you get free advice etc... usually £35 per consultation.
Isn't the phone support only 90 days? Yea it's basically useless if you live near by an Apple store and here in MR are plenty of people ready to help you :cool:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Isn't the phone support only 90 days? Yea it's basically useless if you live near by an Apple store and here in MR are plenty of people ready to help you :cool:
The phone support on a standard warranty is 90 days. I believe the phone support under UK's student discount program warranty is 1 year. Phone support under AppleCare is 3 years.

pukifloyd

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
Scottsdale
It IS in United Kingdom. That's why the AppleCare is only 47£ because you only get the phone support. I can't access the HE store but see this thread. Unfortunately it doesn't apply to other countries but OP is obviously from UK as the prices are in £

That's pretty sweet! free applecare! thanks

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
It's not AppleCare. It's required warranty, so don't expect them to go out of their way to have things fixed.
It's the same warranty as AppleCare without the phone support. You should get same service no matter did you buy AppleCare or not.