Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrklaw

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2008
are the smart covers the same as the air 2, or are there new ones specifically for the pro? Not interested in the keyboard.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Yeah it's expensive but it's still good quality. Other 3rd party cases aren't great. Still it will last me a while and I don't need replace it.

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
You don't have to buy it, expensive accessories for Apple products are nothing new. Granted with each passing year they seem to give you less product for more money. Nothing really new there either.

Just vote with your wallet, don't buy it, buy a third party one. There's no denying the quality of the Apple ones. But there are/will be some easily as good as the Apple ones, some even better, for a lot less money. They just won't have a nice Apple logo embossed on them.

TheLondonFella

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 6, 2014
Well I ordered the front & back in Midnight Blue.

Don't get jealous but both items will be costing me £14, instead of £94!

I was offered an £80 rebate as a goodwill gesture, after receiving 2 of the large iPad Pros with dead pixels.

Only just got around to using it.

See ... I'm no mug ;-)

TheLondonFella

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 6, 2014
I do wonder how they end up charging more for the front and back silicone case than they do the pencil, surely that must cost more to produce?!

I'm also perplexed by the fact that the simple, plastic rear shell is more expensive than the Smart Cover?

Ben foong

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2016
I'm also perplexed by the fact that the simple, plastic rear shell is more expensive than the Smart Cover?

which ipad pro size was this? the 9.7 or the 12.9? Had to use my retail discount perk to reduce mine to £49 today and i still feel it won't protect the 9.7's portruding camera . I'm going to sell it once griffin introduce their survivor cases which are far better value in terms of protection than apple's cases

TheLondonFella

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 6, 2014
which ipad pro size was this? the 9.7 or the 12.9? Had to use my retail discount perk to reduce mine to £49 today and i still feel it won't protect the 9.7's portruding camera . I'm going to sell it once griffin introduce their survivor cases which are far better value in terms of protection than apple's cases

9.7, buddy.

But I think it's the case for both size iPads?

Mac2me

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2015
Well I ordered the front & back in Midnight Blue.

Don't get jealous but both items will be costing me £14, instead of £94!

I was offered an £80 rebate as a goodwill gesture, after receiving 2 of the large iPad Pros with dead pixels.

Only just got around to using it.

See ... I'm no mug ;-)

Huh? So isn't the rebate just like cash? And you still spent it on the Apple case and cover despite thinking it was overpriced. Interesting.

madmike7221

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2009
I bought the iPad Pro 12.9 and got the Smart Keyboard really cheap but there is no protection for the rear of the tablet
I see they make the apple silicon case but $70 is crazy
Do they have a case that like the apple silicon cover works with the apple Smart Keyboard
If not I'll just have to get a hard sleeve or carry case/bag
But was hoping for a cover that protects the rear
Thanks for any info
$70 for a silicon cover for the rear of a tablet just crazy
But apple will always get someone pay it

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
Yea it's expensive but they are very good quality, I've had both only my iPad Pro 12.9" since they first came out and they have been great, no damage or discolouration like third party cases.

nutriousmitten

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2017
I assume their stats show that more folks likely to worry about the back of the device, at least for IPads.

Shame they don't make the smart case for the Pro, but no question that is fully intentional and they will use the smart connector as the excuse. The Smart case for the Air 2 is nice but overpriced,but still cheaper than the back and front covers purchased separately.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.