Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcmadhatter

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 6, 2005
Bath, UK
Attached is a photo from Dixons in Bath of a mighty mice (plural) selling for £59.99 new - they've been that price for months!!!! not that i would ever shop there. but i thought it was funny, anyone got any comments or other stories of huge markups in britain?

Attachments

• ripoff.jpg
    ripoff.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 149

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
I absolutely loathe Dixons. Nasty place full of nasty junk with incompetent sales-people trying to flog extended warranties.

What can you say about this? An over 70% mark-up on full retail price from Apple... shameless. Wouldn't surprise me if there's a few people in Bath stupid and rich enough to pay this sort of price.

Ripmax2000

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2005
It's not just their Bath store, everything in Dixons Group (inc PC World) is overpriced, they were doing iPod Mini Docks for £29.99 (rrp £19), iPod USB Mains adaptor £26.99 (rrp £19), iPod USB/Firewire Cable £29.99 (rrp £15), Airport Basestation £149 (rrp £139), Airport Extreme Card £79.99 (rrp £49)....

The list goes on, and these are just the Apple products. Do yourself a favour, don't ever shop there, have you ever tried to buy anything from them without buying an extended warrenty? The staff will stand there and harrass you until you either take the warrenty or walk out with nothing.

L

Lau

Blue Velvet said:
Wouldn't surprise me if there's a few people in Bath stupid and rich enough to pay this sort of price.

Wot, me?

Obviously this is a joke, as you all know I'm not rich. ;)

Even if Dixons in Bath was reasonably priced, and full of fabulously helpful salespeople, I would never go in as the most annoying and sleazy person I have ever met in my life works there. :eek:

rose red

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2005
nw england
Dixons and PC World are always worth a look. I've had a few good deals simply because if it is priced wrongly to the customers advantage they have no idea.

BlizzardBomb

macrumors 68030
Jun 15, 2005
England
There are sadly some places like this. However, Jigsaw 24, John Lewis and Apple themselves offer honest pricing in the UK. Amazon are actually pretty poor in the Apple hardware department in the UK (except for iPods of course).

Applespider

macrumors G4
The last time I stepped into a Dixons was over Christmas when I was trying to show Mum a few alternatives to digital cameras except they didn't have the models I wanted to show her and their prices for what they did have were horrendous.

The time before that was at the airport when I was thinking about buying my digital camera. But it was dearer (with the 17.5% off it) than I could get online.

Poor stock, poor sale staff and generally unpleasant (crowded with too many products in not enough space) shopping environment mean I couldn't tell you when I actually last bought something in Dixons (it might have been my very first Mac, back in 1992, which they had reduced ;) )

dops7107

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2005
Perth, Oztrailya
Couldn't agree more about Dixons and PC World. I hate them both, and will only go in out of absolute boredom to marvel at their ridiculous prices and sales techniques. I do feel sorry for people who shop there regularly. Is this where our "elitist, smug" reputation comes from, BV? ;)

Mind you, moaning on here about them is rather like preaching to the converted.

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
Applespider said:
I couldn't tell you when I actually last bought something in Dixons (it might have been my very first Mac, back in 1992, which they had reduced ;) )
Ha! My little ol' iMac was bought from their stable-mate PC World, only because they'd knocked a sizable portion off the price. The staff are hilarious – ask them a Mac related question and they don't have a clue what you're talking about. They actually wheeled out a lower-specced iMac out of the warehouse for me, and took quite a bit of convincing that they'd made a mistake.

If the staff knew a quarter as much about the products they sell as they do about their extended warranties then they'd have the best informed, most helpful assistants in the industry.

Kernow

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2005
Kingston-Upon-Thames
Jaffa Cake said:
Ha! My little ol' iMac was bought from their stable-mate PC World, only because they'd knocked a sizable portion off the price. The staff are hilarious – ask them a Mac related question and they don't have a clue what you're talking about. They actually wheeled out a lower-specced iMac out of the warehouse for me, and took quite a bit of convincing that they'd made a mistake.

If the staff knew a quarter as much about the products they sell as they do about their extended warranties then they'd have the best informed, most helpful assistants in the industry.

I bought my first iMac from from PC World too. Despite the fact this was the first computer I had ever bought, I knew more about it than the Salesboy.

howesey

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2005
BlizzardBomb said:
There are sadly some places like this. However, Jigsaw 24, John Lewis and Apple themselves offer honest pricing in the UK. Amazon are actually pretty poor in the Apple hardware department in the UK (except for iPods of course).
Another vote for John Lewis. You also get a free 2 year warranty on all their computer products. Unfortunate they cannot match my 24% discount on Mac products if I order through the Apple department at university.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Selfridges offers good prices, infact they pretty much are just extra Apple stores with less helpful staff. Thats where I get my random accessories from.

dops7107

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2005
Perth, Oztrailya
howesey said:
Another vote for John Lewis. You also get a free 2 year warranty on all their computer products. Unfortunate they cannot match my 24% discount on Mac products if I order through the Apple department at university.

24%? :eek: Which university might that be? I can only get 10-15% as far as I can work out. But I did get Tiger for £58 the other day :)

Actually, back OT: what the heck were Dixons people thinking when they decided to price the Mighty Mouse so high? Did they think Apple users (who presumably they expect to be the major purchasers) to think this was a good deal?

Applespider

macrumors G4
raggedjimmi said:
Selfridges offers good prices, infact they pretty much are just extra Apple stores with less helpful staff. Thats where I get my random accessories from.

Selfridges in London just has a Micro Anvika in the basement. It's not Selfridges themselves selling Macs.

I got my current Mac in John Lewis, with the 2 year guarantee thrown in, and 12% off since I work for them :D

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
dops7107 said:
Actually, back OT: what the heck were Dixons people thinking when they decided to price the Mighty Mouse so high? Did they think Apple users (who presumably they expect to be the major purchasers) to think this was a good deal?
Hmm... how much was it when it first came out? Dixons and PC World have a tendency to add a bit on to the price (with Mac gear at least) and stick with that even when the price at other retailers has come down, or when the product has been replaced by a newer, better specced version.

FireArse

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2004
Dsg

Applespider said:
Selfridges in London just has a Micro Anvika in the basement. It's not Selfridges themselves selling Macs.

I got my current Mac in John Lewis, with the 2 year guarantee thrown in, and 12% off since I work for them :D

This is the case with Harrods.

As for Dixons Stores Groups (DSG) they are a load of crap. The bullcrap you read about them is absolutely true. I used to work for them. I worked in Curry's as the Customer Services guy (worked with this gal with a cracking body) anyway - i would be the person picking up the pieces and facing the crap from customers when they realised the 'Service Plan' aka warranty or dare I say it....MasterCare is a load of B0llocks.

The ONLY good thing about mastercare is the cover of theft when buying portable items. Thats it. the service, the price and the way u get sold it is f*ck1ng awful. take it from someone who worked with DSG and Mastercare:

DONT BUY EXTENDED SERVICE AGREEMENTS!!

HAHA i know they based in Hemel Hempstead, their offices got bashed a bit in the oil explosion.

There are two things they're good for, is seeing a product you're thinking of buying online, and looking for a product with a £xx.97 price tag. That .97p means its an end-of-line product and they price has been adjusted accordingly. As has been said before - some bargains can be had - u have to look VERY hard AND be VERY lucky!

FireArse

mcmadhatter

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 6, 2005
Bath, UK
Just for comparison (and a laugh instead of doing uni revision) i went to Bath's pc world where the mightiest of all mice was £29.99. A £30 DESCEPENCY BETWEEN THEIR OWN STORES!!!!! so the next step I reckon is to go and ask them to "Price Match" themselves to see if they'll sell it to me for that, and after wasting half an hour of their time walk out on the premise that an apple product shouldn't need an extended warranty

dops7107

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2005
Perth, Oztrailya
FireArse said:
...and looking for a product with a £xx.97 price tag. That .97p means its an end-of-line product and they price has been adjusted accordingly.

Is this the official line, some kind of code that only employees are supposed to understand? Are the sales people supposed to push end-of-line stuff?

mcmadhatter said:
A £30 DESCEPENCY BETWEEN THEIR OWN STORES!!!!!

That's truly amazing. They can't even communicate properly between themselves, nevermind with the public.

Ashapalan

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2005
England
I worked part time in dixons

after 7 days i was absolutly sick of it.
The full time staff were a joke, full of greed and selfishly orientented to the nth degree, always stealing sales off you for the commision and mindlessly trying to sell stuff to people that they clearly didnt need.

Recieved no training, no clear information about the days sales.

Left and will never go back, haven't been in that store since.

I couldnt lie about something to cheat money off people for a company.
I never will.

edit, and also...(!)
I went into another dixons store last night, while walking past the ipod section, i heard a salesman answering the question 'does it come with free songs', to which he replied 2 or 3, and also was unsure whether they would work on all xp systems.

A stroll over to the laptop area revealed two powerbooks, both last revision, both the same price as the latest revs (not including macbook) and both with huge security tab stickers on, one of which had been removed and left the surface of the laptop covered in muc and sticky paper.

grrr

FireArse

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2004
dops7107 said:
Is this the official line, some kind of code that only employees are supposed to understand? Are the sales people supposed to push end-of-line stuff?

Yeah - thats the official line. Sales staff were only pushed to sell MasterCare - end of line stuff normally went without any problems. Yeah - Dixons is a joke alright.

jimN

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2005
London
howesey said:

Which uni is this, please tell!

L

Lau

jimN said:
Which uni is this, please tell!

It may well be in a few universities. If you go to the Apple Education Store, as well as the link for individuals, there is a link that says "This may only be accessed through your institution's network". Click on that when you are on a computer at your university (if they are participating), and there is a higher discount than a standard education one. I haven't worked out the percentage, but must be around 20ish percent off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.