£600 budget

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by almota7, Apr 25, 2013.

1. almota7 macrumors newbie

Considering that I'm after a second hand MacBook (pro or air) with SSD, what would the best option be? My budget is £600. As pros at this price won't come with a SSD, part of this money should be used for the upgrade. I know there is not a lot of options, but would appreciate any inputs. My usage is fairly basic these days, but i do enjoy a smooth machine. The ssd thing is essencial. No more hard drives for me. I want to see some flow. Please tell me what to avoid too. Thanks

2. B... macrumors 68000

B...

For that price, all you will be able to buy is likely a second hand lowest end 11" Air or a computer of 2010-11. For that price range, I think the best choice might be a (I'm sorry MR) PC. It will likely be cheaper than that, and the extra money can be used to upgrade to an SSD. Just say goodbye to a classy design (for that price you will get plastic), a great touchpad, and OSX.

3. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

Save a little longer until you have around 1000-1100 USD and you can get a used Late-2012 Macbook Pro and upgrade to an SSD no problem. The 2013 13inch is like retail 1100 so used you could find a used deal on a late 2012.

Also if your usage is basic you could use a 128GB SSD which always go on sale for 70-80 dollars. Check slickdeals.net for that.

If my conversion is right you already have 925 dollars so really something you will use for years an extra 100 isn't that much.

4. XoFu macrumors regular

XoFu

5. MyRomeo macrumors 6502

MyRomeo

What sort of use are you planning?

I bought myself a late 2011 MacBook Pro (basic 2.4ghz model) whilst in the USA for about £700. At the same time I bought my wife a late 2011 MBA which worked out around £550 at the time.

Do you know anyone who is going to the USA any time soon? Ask them to bring one back for you perhaps?

Also worth considering is the apple refurb stuff, it's as reliable as new and can offer a great saving.

FYI just checked the uk apple store education pricing and the 11" basic MBA rocks in at £729 new. If you know anyone at university this could be another option for you. Still a lot more expensive here in the uk than our friends over the pond. Damn import tax and 20% sales tax!

6. stchman macrumors 6502a

I'm going to assume that's British pounds.

That gives you a budget of about $930USD.

I don't know what Macs cost over in Britain, but $930 would probably get you a base 13" MBA used. Since MBAs only have SSDs and your usage will be basic, an Air sounds like just the ticket.

7. thundersteele macrumors 68030

There are no 11'' right now in the refurbished store, but 13'' Airs start at 849 pounds, so maybe 11'' will be below 700... and they come with SSD ;)

8. LeeM macrumors 6502a

you'll get a base model 2010 pro or 13" air for that. get on gumtree. £730 will get a new base 11" air if you know a student or use the student link