£819+ for a phone that scratches

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jodie1987, Sep 9, 2016.

1. Jodie1987 macrumors regular

I have preordered a iPhone 7 Plus in normal black and really wanted a jet black but after I found out it will scratch I was let down, I believe if they are going to make us pay so much for these iPhone they should at least make the jet black scratch resistant, to me they could have just used plastic if its going to end up scratching!

2. spazma7ik macrumors 6502a

A phone that can scratch? Hell, that's more than my wife'll do!

3. Jodie1987 thread starter macrumors regular

I think they should have made it scratch resistant at least for the price people are paying

4. riverfreak macrumors 6502a

It's a high gloss, highly refined finish coupled with a community filled with angst ridden OCD types overly worried about scratches on a device that gets tossed around day in and day out. They would be stupid not to place that disclaimer on the site with the behavior they've dealt with over the years.

5. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

OMG!!!

Apple isn't selling the iPhone 5 any more! They've had several years to get the anodization right and Neucase has been doing if for years now!

If it 'scratches' it's microscratching that's only going to be visible when held a certain way in strong light.

It's not going to be what you seam to be implying, the rebirth of Scuffgate.

6. Jodie1987 thread starter macrumors regular

Any kind of scratch drives me crazy

7. FrozenInferno macrumors regular

Put a case on it then. That's what they're for.

Unless they make an entire phone encased in sapphire things are going to scratch or scuff eventually. Especially if you refuse to protect it with a case.

8. Bazooka-joe macrumors 68000

Bazooka-joe

My £78,000 BMW will scratch if I polish it with a cloth that has grit on it. A phone is not immune to daily wear and tear. Black shows marks and imperfections more than any other colour and if its glossy black then even more so.
    It will mark over time. You makes your choice and pays the price

9. Jodie1987 thread starter macrumors regular

I had a samsung galaxy s6 for 1 year and the back of that didn't scratch once

10. pedzsan, Sep 9, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2016

pedzsan macrumors member

pedzsan

Can you point me to your references? How did you "find out"?

Edit: Ah... I see. Reminds me of news stations that quote political figures. What Apple says and what the "news" says are not really the same. One place says "easily scratches", etc.

Here is what I found on the Apple web site:
    The high-gloss finish of the jet black iPhone 7 is achieved through a precision nine-step anodization and polishing process. Its surface is equally as hard as other anodized Apple products; however, its high shine may show fine micro-abrasions with use. If you are concerned about this, we suggest you use one of the many cases available to protect your iPhone.

Sounds like a new service could be created to re-polish your jet black phone back to new.

11. andyp350 macrumors 6502a

So are we now just collectively assuming every single jet black iPhone 7 is going to end up scratched to pieces.
    Maybe this is a ridiculous suggestion but how about we just wait and see what happens when the phones are actually released, this may not even be an issue.

If you want the jet black and are genuinely concerned (I have worse problems in my life than scratches on the back of my iPhone so i'm not too concerned) then wait until a few weeks after launch and see what people are experiencing.

12. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

#1 - You have no idea how much it will/won't scratch. What are you whining about?
    #2 - You don't have to get that phone. It's capitalism. Vote with your money.
    #3 - Good grief. Is this seriously a thread/topic of discussion?!

13. Jodie1987 thread starter macrumors regular

did you get a iphone 7?

14. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Why? Are you offering to buy one for me?

15. Jodie1987 thread starter macrumors regular

no, I was just asking a question :)