£929 for a 1.87ghz MBP refurb UK

majorp

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 28, 2005
UK !!!
Trying to get the best deal, I am a HE student so i can get full edu discount but don't really want to spend ALL of my cash on yonah. I need a laptop now. Do you think that this is a good deal considering i can get full edu discount?

Zimmy

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2005
Do get HE disocount on Refurbs?

how much is full HE discount vs normal edu discount?

ZIm

majorp

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 28, 2005
UK !!!
the cheapest refurb macbook pro form the HE store is

£1,189.10

againsts the refurb

£928.85

is £260.15 cheaper.

There are other points though, from the edu store you get 3 years warranty as standard. And from the edu store it would be the 2ghz model vs 1.87ghz from the refurb.

Zimmy said:
Do get HE disocount on Refurbs?
sadly not.

Zimmy

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2005
Ahh i thought as much..

wouldnt mind the cheap mac mini on there.. now all i gotta do is find the cash

ZIm

dhc

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2006
UK
If its a consideration, for what its worth, I bought this model from the refurb store earlier this year and have had no issues (that weren't as a result of my son putting coins in the optical drive slot) whatsoever.

MisterEd

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2006
It's cos you're looking at the 1st Rev model, 1.83GHz. The base model now is 2GHz.

majorp

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 28, 2005
UK !!!
MisterEd said:
It's cos you're looking at the 1st Rev model, 1.83GHz. The base model now is 2GHz.
majorp said:
There are other points though, from the edu store you get 3 years warranty as standard. And from the edu store it would be the 2ghz model vs 1.87ghz from the refurb.
This is part of my dilema.

£260 for 0.13Ghz, 3 year warranty?

Zimmy

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2005
ooooohhh big dilema, spending that much cash i would pay the bit extra and get the 3years warranty. works out 7.22 a month which is worth it considering how much a part replacment would cost.

plus the 0.13 never hurt anybody :p

Zim

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
majorp said:
This is part of my dilema.

£260 for 0.13Ghz, 3 year warranty?
I'd get the new one. It's likely that you'll need Applecare at least once in three years.

Also the MBPs are getting revised all the time (new logic boards). If I was going to stump up a grand then I'd want the latest revision.

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
Zimmy said:
ooooohhh big dilema, spending that much cash i would pay the bit extra and get the 3years warranty. works out 7.22 a month which is worth it considering how much a part replacment would cost.
It's actually more like a tenner a month as you already get the 12 months on any new or refurb. ie. the extended is for 24 months.

majorp

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 28, 2005
UK !!!
emotion said:
I'd get the new one. It's likely that you'll need Applecare at least once in three years.

Also the MBPs are getting revised all the time (new logic boards). If I was going to stump up a grand then I'd want the latest revision.
yeah, your probably right. but i don't want to fork out full price when a refresh is within the month. i guess more waiting is in order.

Zimmy

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2005
emotion said:
It's actually more like a tenner a month as you already get the 12 months on any new or refurb. ie. the extended is for 24 months.
oooopppss my bad..

Zim

hvfsl

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2001
London, UK
I bought a refurb 2.16Ghz MacBook Pro in August, it had just about every problem you can get on those things and the computer still basically work.

It had:
Backlight bleading (bottom was lighter than the top)
Screen buzzing/high pitched noise
Cpu buzzing/high pitched noise
Right speaker crackles

Apple did say they would repair it if I wanted, but I decided to return it and wait for the Merom MBPs.

So you are going to be taking a risk if you order a refurb MacBook Pro.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
PC World

I picked up an ex-demo from my local PC World with the same specs for my brother in law a few weeks ago for only £799.

A good bargain, once we had wiped all the fingerprints off and re-installed the OS it was as good as new. The battery was still unused and it came with all the packaging and accessories.

We declined the offer of the anti-virus software......:)

crap freakboy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
nar in Gainsborough, me duck
OllyW said:
I picked up an ex-demo from my local PC World with the same specs for my brother in law a few weeks ago for only £799.

A good bargain, once we had wiped all the fingerprints off and re-installed the OS it was as good as new. The battery was still unused and it came with all the packaging and accessories.

We declined the offer of the anti-virus software......:)

Typical PC World offer, they don't know their ar***oles from their elbows in there. Same goes for Dixons, Comet etc etc. A Salesman should know 'something' about what they are selling.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
crap freakboy said:
Typical PC World offer, they don't know their ar***oles from their elbows in there. Same goes for Dixons, Comet etc etc. A Salesman show know 'something' about what they are selling.
They had a 15" PowerBook next to it, priced at £999.

I think they may have got the prices the wrong way round but I didn't question it ;)

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
i'm soooo tempted - i just got my student loan paid in. hmmm, mbp or food for a few months. hard decision. :(