Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobby_brun

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2017
Can anyone explain to me why the Mail app has not been updated to do multitasking and drag and drop in the app itself?

For example, if I start a new email message and want to drag and drop an attachment from another email I received there is no way of doing this. Once a new email message is opened you can't click on the emails in the background.

Furthermore, attachments are still embedded in the email messages as opposed to being accessible as files as they are in Outlook (ie you have to scroll to the bottom of an email to find the attachment).

Why isn't Apple giving the Mail app a proper update? It's basically been the same for 10 years.

BB

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2014
Can anyone explain to me why the Mail app has not been updated to do multitasking and drag and drop in the app itself?

For example, if I start a new email message and want to drag and drop an attachment from another email I received there is no way of doing this. Once a new email message is opened you can't click on the emails in the background.

Furthermore, attachments are still embedded in the email messages as opposed to being accessible as files as they are in Outlook (ie you have to scroll to the bottom of an email to find the attachment).

Why isn't Apple giving the Mail app a proper update? It's basically been the same for 10 years.

BB

You can minimise the email by grabbing the bar up the top and swiping it down. You can have multiple tabs open using this method but only reply/fwd and write new email can be opened in tabs.

Using this method you can drag and drop text, links, attachments, photos etc and drop them in a new email.

Reactions: Feenician

bobby_brun

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2017
Thanks! Most helpful!
Now only leaves the question why Mail still embeds the attachment in the body of the message.

BB

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2014
Thanks! Most helpful!
Now only leaves the question why Mail still embeds the attachment in the body of the message.

BB

Personally I like being able to embed photos and videos within text on emails but I understand others may prefer otherways.

However if for example you receive 10 photos attached to an email you can long press on one of the photos and press save 10 photos, instead of saving individual photos. It works even if you have photos and video attached in the same email.

14959B42-719C-4A33-8931-46E623C261E0.jpeg

Also you can long press on any attachment and press Quicklook to preview the attachment and if you then press on the (list) button top left next to done it shows a list of all attachments in the email with previews.

5D5E4E59-CA21-4421-9F69-C94A93DB0AC2.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.