» Problem with temperature and RPM!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by tanjasaurus, May 5, 2011.

1. tanjasaurus macrumors newbie

So I Have an early-2008 white MacBook, and it have always been running nicely with me, up until a few months ago, whenever turning on a YouTube-video the RPM and temperature rises up to around 100°-110° CELSIUS. Same when playing minecraft or any other thing that it took very easily before.

Now I have gotten the MacBook pretty calm, running only RockMelt and Spotify, and the fan runs at 1900 rpm and the temperature is "down" to 67°C. I still think this is a bit high temperature and I find myself hearing the fan a bit too easily compared to what I used to, but I don't really know what the ideal is.

Question is, should I max the fan (I use smcFanControl) up to 5000-6000? I have tried it a little, but the temperature still got all the way up to 90°C. I'm really afraid of my MB melting, in worst case causing any physical damage on me or anyone else.

I appreciate any personal experiences or educational replies.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If it's getting to 110C, it should be shutting down automatically. Are you sure it's not F?

3. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Generally, playing youtube videos and other flash media as well as games is going to make your computer run a little hotter, but it shouldn't be nearly as high as what you are reporting.

Check activity monitor to see if there are any processes that are taking up large amounts of CPU for an extended period of time and quit them, that might help the problem. If not, it could be an actual physical problem with your fan like a bunch of dust clogging it up and not letting it circulate air. To fix this you would have to take the back off the macbook and use compressed air to blow out all the dust, but be careful if you decide to do this, you don't want to mess up any of the internal components.

Also, there is a program called coolbook controller (not free) that allows you to undervolt the processor on macbooks which cools the processor down dramatically, or it least has in my experience. I have been using coolbook with my macbook for about 6 months now, and it normally is around 45-50 celcius with lots of programs open and doesn't get much higher than that with more processor intensive activity. I would give it a try if you have 10$ to spend.

4. tanjasaurus thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm sure, yes.

5. tanjasaurus thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll give it a try to fix it. Checked the IDLE stats before going to bed, hte temperature was around 50-60 while the fan was set to 3000 rpm.
    I'm having it at 6200 rpm now, and the temperature is down to 60-70°C atm, with only two programs running. I still find it way to hot compared to what it used to do. Tried to rip a DVD we filmed in school, but it quickly raised to 101°C so I just stopped it.