Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Donstil-nl

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2008
Netherlands
i would like to downgrade to, not that i am having problems or anything but i did not think about upgrading to 2.0 beta. I am on a Sport now and would like to buy a SS, only with 2.0 beta i cannot sell my sport when i got my SS. Stupid me.

There has to be a way right? Maybe it's like the pebble, when thats on 2.0 (or so) and you would like to downgrade to 1.8, just "give" it the 1.8 firmware trough the app and it will go install is. First upload the image and than install on watch. I don't see a reason why Apple cannot do this with the watch.

twisted-pixel

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2009
San Jose, CA
Not looking for an argument but you have either never installed a Beta of iOS or YOU have never read the notes:

• Devices updated to iOS 9 beta can not be restored to earlier versions of iOS. Only registered development devices will be able to upgrade to future beta releases and the final iOS software.
We all know you can restore back to any version of iOS as long as it is still being signed.

the watch does not have a DFU mode...therefore you cannot go back

BillyTrimble

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2013
Yes, because every developer has another $399 Apple Watch lying around.

Get real.

I believe you are the one not being realistic. Apple always admonishes developers to not use their day to day productivity equipment to run new operating systems. The reasons are absolutely obvious, or at least I thought so. And yes, any developer who needs or wants a functioning watch to use in his day to day personal life would most certainly have a second watch for development. A developer can make a lot of money with good software and most likely can afford a "development watch".

BillyTrimble

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2013
ATTN: CHILDREN

Apple warns developers to NOT use their day to day productivity equipment for new operating systems, etc. The reasons are obvious. If you chose to ignore this admonition and things don't turn out the way you want, why would you blame or expect anything for Apple. You took the chance. You lost. Blame yourself and move on with your life until a new version comes out that you can install.

penajmz

macrumors 68040
Sep 11, 2008
New York City
This post is hysterical.

I feel for you guys stuck in watchOS 2, just hang in there and more than likely an update will be out within two weeks and that one will work better.

I just don't get why you guys had to try it since the new stuff is not ready since the developers haven't been able to write the apps for it. I mean that's like the main feature.

randy98mtu

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2009
Wish we could find a way. My watch used to use 50% battery in 12 hours. Now it's using 200% in 10 hours... Hopefully beta 2 isn't too far out...

jdogg836

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2010
Oklahoma
I don't understand why this comes up every time a new beta comes out. As many others have said, you should not install beta software on a primary device. This happens to be an early beta too, not anywhere near ready for primetime.

mrbrown

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2004
Springfield, Missouri
I believe you are the one not being realistic. Apple always admonishes developers to not use their day to day productivity equipment to run new operating systems. The reasons are absolutely obvious, or at least I thought so. And yes, any developer who needs or wants a functioning watch to use in his day to day personal life would most certainly have a second watch for development. A developer can make a lot of money with good software and most likely can afford a "development watch".

No buddy, you're not being realistic. Some folks don't write software to "make money". Some developers develop as a hobby, some just release free stuff. Some are students who may only have the money to afford the development fee and one device. And some don't live in the United States, have a much lower standard of living than yourself and may only be able to afford one device. Never mind the fact that many people can only get one Watch -- it took nearly two months to get mine, for instance!

I hate hearing this, "Well, Apple told you so!" They're not infallible. And now I'm seeing on 9to5mac.com that Apple is charging an "out of warranty" service fee to "repair" watches that were borked by their developer preview? That's just ridiculous and bad business.

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
...And now I'm seeing on 9to5mac.com that Apple is charging an "out of warranty" service fee to "repair" watches that were borked by their developer preview? That's just ridiculous and bad business.
Are they actually charging people that are registered developers?...or is it just everyone else that found a way around it so they could load the developer beta?
As I posted earlier - loading a beta on your device when you have no way to back it out (like we do with iOS devices via DFU + USB cable) is pretty damn foolish. Loading a developer beta when you're not a developer is even more so. People that don't have the technical wherewithal to solve their own problems should NOT be running beta code!

Reactions: m0pheu5

mrbrown

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2004
Springfield, Missouri
Are they actually charging people that are registered developers?...or is it just everyone else that found a way around it so they could load the developer beta?

No idea. But considering they wanted to charge me a fee years ago when a developer release borked my $599 iPhone 2G (as a developer, as a student), I would assume the practice hasn't changed. Thankfully, there was a way to reverse the "damage" done by the developer preview on the iPhone...

ifarlow

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2015
Georgia
It doesn't matter how he got it. Anyone that installs a developer beta onto a daily device must do so knowing the risks. To come here after the fact and complain that things went wrong is idiotic and strongly suggests that those risks were ignored. Further, it makes no difference if the installer is a developer for a large organization, an indie developer, or a non-developer, the risks are the same.

Arrr

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2015
the watch does not have a DFU mode...therefore you cannot go back
Just so you're aware, the watch certainly DOES have a DFU mode. Hold digital crown and power button until unit restarts, then just after you see Apple logo, release the digital crown and continue holding the power button. This places the unit into DFU mode. Although it sure doesn't matter since no one here has a diagnostic cable to restore firmware while in DFU...

Donstil-nl

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2008
Netherlands
All the guy's replying about betas are not for normal people are just moralistic *******s.

Of course normal people are installing them that's why we are Tech lovers/nerds. We don't want to wait like cattle in a field. We would like to play with new stuff, and if that means we have to compete with some bugs so be it.

It's just that a downgrade should be possible, if it is for a developer or fore a tech nerd does not matter. Pebble can make a BT Recovery on their watch why could Apple not do this? Go in DFU, still have connection or make one with temporarily BT device. Push firmware, let watch install. Just like it is with a normal upgrade (witch was a full version as well)

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
Every year people upgrade to the new beta software for the shiny new features, only to ignore all the warnings that the battery life will suck and will be a buggy mess

Then they ask how to downgrade

Donstil-nl

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2008
Netherlands
Every year people upgrade to the new beta software for the shiny new features, only to ignore all the warnings that the battery life will suck and will be a buggy mess

Then they ask how to downgrade

I am doing it for years now. Always take the bugs like a man and almost never downgrade.

Not that I am a developer. It's just because i like to experiment with it.

Apple always stated that downgrade is not possible but it always was. Because of that fact I updated my watch, so it's a bummer we cannot downgrade now, so I understand why the topic starter (and others) have this question.

I am on a sport now and would like to upgrade to a SS when the Instore pickup starts, only if I cannot downgrade my sport I cannot sell it. So that's a bummer and that's why I would like to update.

Last edited:

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014
Well, it's water under the bridge at this point. The best thing that affected users can do now is to turn it into a learning experience and not be so quick to jump on a beta in the future.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.