Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrbrown

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2004
Springfield, Missouri
Last edited:

Twimfy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2011
UK
You got lucky. Spoke to them this morning. They just re-gurgitated their notes from the pre-release docs about how a watch could not be downgraded and refused to help me.

Reactions: jbachandouris

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
You got lucky. Spoke to them this morning. They just re-gurgitated their notes from the pre-release docs about how a watch could not be downgraded and refused to help me.
So you tell them: "I'm pretty sure it's not the OS, it's the BATTERY that sucks." Or whatever

Twimfy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2011
UK
So you tell them: "I'm pretty sure it's not the OS, it's the BATTERY that sucks." Or whatever

Yeah but my battery is doing fine, I can't think of a hardware related reason to tell them. Guy told me that they don't even have an option on their system to deal with software issues :-/

DrBlueBox

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2015
Chatham
Having downgraded back to 8.3 I'm now without a watch, though I can wait a couple of weeks for beta 2 to come out and hopefully that'll be more stable.

I downloaded the watchos 2 profile to my phone again and manually paired my 8.3 device with the watch and it worked, for about 10 seconds before I got the "Phone out of date" message. I'm sure someone will figure out a way to revert to 1.0.1.

Hopefully..

iBlazed

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2014
New Jersey, United States
Having downgraded back to 8.3 I'm now without a watch, though I can wait a couple of weeks for beta 2 to come out and hopefully that'll be more stable.

I downloaded the watchos 2 profile to my phone again and manually paired my 8.3 device with the watch and it worked, for about 10 seconds before I got the "Phone out of date" message. I'm sure someone will figure out a way to revert to 1.0.1.

Hopefully..
Apple could always surprise us with beta 2 tomorrow. :)

zone23

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2012

Hopefully..

I'm in the same boat so at least your not alone. The upside for me would be a iOS 9 with improved battery life. If that happened I would probably be fine unless a jailbreak comes for 8.4.

kybldmstr

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
New Orleans, LA
Here is my receipt to prove it. Went in for service on Tuesday (day after beta release)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-06-14 at 7.11.27 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-06-14 at 7.11.27 PM.png
    204 KB · Views: 260

kybldmstr

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
New Orleans, LA
I might go in to the Apple store and give it a try tomorrow. Nothing to lose. Except mine isn't stuck in recovery mode so I don't really know what to say to them.
Hmm.. well maybe that is the point. If your watch is stuck in recover mode then they will have no choice but to fix it for free.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
I am confirming it first hand. My watch was broken when I was installing watchOS 2. I set up a genius appointment and the $229 service fee was waived. I received a new watch in 3 days.

Yours is a unique case. My watch isn't broken. It's on 2.0 Beta and is working.

zone23

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2012
Well I just got off the phone with Applecare they are sending me a return box to send the watch back for a downgrade. He did not mention any cost too me.

Elektrofone

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2010
Well I just got off the phone with Applecare they are sending me a return box to send the watch back for a downgrade. He did not mention any cost too me.
When I called them they said there was nothing they could do and that I should look at the developers forums. Is there a particular line you called?

zone23

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2012
When I called them they said there was nothing they could do and that I should look at the developers forums. Is there a particular line you called?

Yeah when I tried on Thursday I called Applecare and they said I had to talk to development. So I called them and they said I needed to talk to the software upgrade team, that number rings busy 24/7. I think its just a phone off the hook some place. Check your PM though.

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
What I find interesting is they could easily connect the Watch to iTunes through the phone. Look at Xcode. If I connect my phone, it'll show not only my phone, but the Watch paired to the phone. Obviously, DFU mode is there on the Watch. If they make it so when the Watch is in DFU mode it can establish a Bluetooth connection to the connected iPhone, then the user plugs the phone into iTunes, I don't see how a software restore cannot be done OTA.

I'm not one to go off spurting 'Apple is scamming us out of money', but for those people who have had their Apple Watch bricked, it certainly seems like this is the case. I know its a beta, but at least if stuff happened on pervious devices you could DFU it and restore it. Another way would be to allow people to send in the device to Apple or take it in the Genius Bar and have it done there. I'm sure that diagnostic port is how they are reloading the factory image. Why not give each store a way to access the port, and plug it in to a computer to restore it to an image stored on the central server for each store? Maybe charge for shipping if it has to go the facility, but that's it. They aren't replacing it, just flashing the firmware back.

dBeats

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2011
Thats BS you don't know that. So how does it flash new firmware then? If you can flash a newer version you can certainly flash an older version.
I'm gonna guess bootp from the watch app, which isn't a dfu mode. There's a reason watchOS is not called iOS for watch. They are obviously not the same OS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.