¿MBP-2010 electricity on case when plugged?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lightworker, Jun 6, 2010.

?

(READ THE POST AND ANSWER) ¿Do you get shocked with your 2010-MBP, when plugged?

  1. Yes, I get shocked.

    3 vote(s)
    15.0%
  2. No, I don't.

    17 vote(s)
    85.0%
  1. lightworker macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 29, 2010
    #1
    Hi, I realized as many from here, that when the MBP is connected to the plug, you can feel just a rare sensation on the unibody case of the computer.
    So I made a test, and I just "kissed" the computer to see if there is electricity (the test you use for batteries, with lips or tongue) when connected, and OMG! This little gives you a good bitting shock! Not pretty loud, but anyway...
    So it's not on all the case, but near the magsafe it's pretty easy to test.

    So, why don't you make the test too?

    Plug your mid-2010 MBP, let it charge a bit, and put your lips on the case, near the mag zone, or speakers zone. See if it shocks you too.

    Just comment if you feel it a little bit, or nothin, or a lot. And test the difference with battery and plugged, wich should be no-shock/shock, respectively.

    Thanks! :)

    PS: post your MBP model, and be concrete with the shocking zones please, so if you get shocked on the mag zone and not on the trackpad zone, write it.
    Thanks!

    PS2: fill the poll too, after testing as described. :)


    edit: well I've seen that it's a comon issue, and it's not about I have this and I have not.
    It's a recognized Apple issue, and seems that becomes solved if you use this:

    [​IMG]

    instead of those:

    [​IMG]

    So to make the test, use the adapters please.
     
  2. m85476585 macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Feb 26, 2008
    #2
    It shouldn't ever shock you. I get shocks from my MBP all the time after building up a static charge by walking across the carpet or something, and that's normal. But if the MBP is plugged in and you don't have a static charge, it should not shock you.

    I can feel sort of a tingling/pulsing sensation if I run my finger over my MBP while some other part of my body is grounded (feet on a cement floor, for example), while using the 2-prong plug. Like I said in the other thread, I measured 50 volts between my MBP and ground, so I only use the 3-prong cable now.
     
  3. lightworker thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 29, 2010
    #3
    Exactly this! This is the sensation I'm talking about too. And if you put your lips over the case, you feel it like "a bite". Same sensation like when you test a battery with your tonge.

    But we on Spain (Europe), only have this kind of connectors!
     
  4. Shaman Beloved macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 21, 2008
    Location:
    Finland
    #4
    Heh, a friend with a uMBP 13" was wondering a strange, stinging pain in his shoulder... until he stopped leaning to the radiator next to him. Needless to say, they obviously have some current leak problems with the unibody. Or maybe it's just a touch of Magic. Thumbs up for Apple :p
     
  5. drambuie macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 16, 2010
    #5
    This is a very common phenomenom, and is due to the fact that, when not grounded, the MPB case is free floating relative to ground. Even though the MPB is isolated from the AC supply by the power adapter, there is still a tiny potential induced by inductive or capacitive coupling. There is actually no easily measurable current flow capability, but the potential can be detected by the nervous system, especially during a light touch by a high resistance sensitive area, such as the back of a finger. A sensitive digital AC voltmeter may measure a voltage between the MPB case and ground, but an analog multimeter would measure nothing as it would drain the induced voltage to ground with insufficient current to deflect the meter. If you can measure a voltage with an an unamplified analog meter, you have a real leakage problem.

    The same effect can be experienced with the metal trim of store display cases that have fluorescent lighting, but where the frame itself is not grounded. If you move the back of your finger along such metal trim, you will feel a sticky tingling feeling.
     
  6. lightworker thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 29, 2010
    #6
    To all the people voting "no-shocking" (and not answering, of course...), could be possible to explain wich kind of cable are you using? Please?
    I need to know if it's a grounded cable or not, cause the European ones, are NOT grounded.
     

Share This Page