¿Should i stay on iOS 6.1.3? iPod touch 5th

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by okusai3000, May 1, 2014.

1. okusai3000 macrumors newbie

Hello! In the past, i tried iOS 7 GM and it was very laggy (actually, it was worst than the betas). The most annoying issues were on the control center, notification center, and the assistive touch.

I downgrade to 6.1.3 and well... i have been very curious if 7.1.1 has fixed all this problems. I mean, i don't know if the iPod touch can REALLY handle this software. Especially by the lack of ram.

¿What is your opinion?

Thank you very much!

2. bmxracer macrumors member

bmxracer

I am running 7.1.1 and it is working well and fairly quick for me.

3. afsnyder macrumors 65816

Yes upgrade. iOS 7 runs extremely smooth on A6 devices but seeing as it's A5 it'll just be fine.

It'll be slightly slower than 6.1.3 but will have the benefits of iOS 7 key features like control center and redesigned apps.

You can decide.

4. Señor macrumors 6502

Señor

Decide to upgrade like the rest of the world, or be a "I hate looks" user and stay with an outdated version of iOS.

It should run just fine.

5. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

^
    The world isn't quite as simple as that.
    I am sure the reason(s) some stay with 6.1.3 is much more complex and colorful.

6. okusai3000 thread starter macrumors newbie

Exactly. For example, my iPod touch 3g with iOS 5.1.1 works ULTRA laggy.

You have to be silly to hate all the great features from the last iOS. I'm only talking about speed.

Any other opinion about performance would be apreciate! :)

7. ChrisWard1994 macrumors member

ChrisWard1994

I found ios7 on my ipod 5th gen pretty laggy although 7.1 was a big improvement. Still very small things here and there but if i had the choice to go back to ios 6 id turn it down. Pretty smooth and animations are faster now with 7.1

8. happyfrappy macrumors 6502

Don't have an iPod Touch 5, but from an iPhone 5 owner I'd say it depends upon what visual features of iOS 6 is better than iOS 7 to you. iOS lags a bit on my iPhone at times so I'm sure Apple is still "tweaking it"

Calendar in iOS 7 is hard to read vs my iPod 4th Gen
    iTunes is ugly as hell with iOS 7, the only benefit is iTunes Radio--a dark skin theme option would be nice at night instead of burning your eyes with a white and pink scheme :(

Pros of iOS 7:
    Battery Life improvements
    Safari is snappier, can have more open tabs and a big bookmarks collection doesn't feel laggy like iOS 5/6.
    Closing applications is an upwards swipe instead of tapping a tiny minus icon

With that said, if you listen to music more than using applications then you may feel iOS 7 is just "meh". When my old iPod Touch needs a new battery, may end up moving back to an iPod Classic.

9. mangomind, May 2, 2014
    Last edited: May 2, 2014

mangomind macrumors 6502a

mangomind

Weigh the pros and cons, only you can decide what you prefer. One rule of thumb is to upgrade if you need a feature; features come at the expense of performance. For the iPod touch -

iOS 7 pros:
    Safari is slightly faster, has omnibar
    Siri is faster and more accurate
    App Store is slightly faster
    Control center
    Background app refresh
    FaceTime works

iOS 7 cons:
    Compared to iOS 6.1.3, 7.1.1 has about 2 hours less battery life while web browsing (8.5hr vs 6.5hr).
    slightly less available ram
    Safari uses more ram
    Most apps take slightly longer to open
    slight stutter/lag at times
    unlocking device is a little slower
    Music app is worse

10. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

I've learned that the best ownership experience of an iOS device is to keep it at the level of iOS that it shipped with. That's my rule of thumb and it has worked well.

There are reasons for upgrading (security fixes, etc.) but short of that, I try to stay with the shipped version.

My iPhone 4 is staying at 5.1.1 because I needed to make some modifications to it to support my carrier (StraightTalk). Performance and battery life are still excellent.

I kept my iPad 4 at 6.1.3 until the SSL bug forced me to upgrade to 7.1. It was speedy and smooth under 6.1.3, and noticeably less so under 7.1. And so it goes.

YMMV.

11. TouchMint.com macrumors 68000

TouchMint.com

There are quite a few apps that are iOS 7 only but if the touch does what you need and you dont want these new apps i dont see why you would update?

12. arefbe macrumors regular

arefbe

My iPod touch 5G isn't any slower on iOS 7.1.1. But the battery life sure has gone to hell. Not using it all, and taking into practice every battery saving method given in these forums, it lose 10% an hour.

13. mangomind macrumors 6502a

mangomind

I have learned to stay with earlier versions of iOS as well. But I am angry at Apple for forcing users to upgrade if they want security fixes and FaceTime. I wish Apple would make the iOS upgrade process like OS X. I wish we could choose to download and install new iOS releases from the App Store, and that Apple would keep supporting older iOS versions.

14. okusai3000 thread starter macrumors newbie

Actually, the only reason for i would like to upgrade, is that since i jailbreaked 6.1.3, my battery has been draining very fast.

Is there any other way to unjailbreak the device without update to ios 7?:(

15. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

16. $M.H$ macrumors member

I have iPod touch 5 [ iOS 7.0.4 ]
    The battery is very bad & sometimes it lags
    Also it tacks a lot time to open heavy apps and 3D games
    I wish I can downgrade to iOS 6
    :(
    DONT UPDATE TO IOS 7 !!!!

17. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

7.1.1 is fine for my friend on his iPod touch 5g. I say upgrade. There r so many new features.

----------

Update to iOS 7.1. It should help.

18. Pakaku macrumors 68000

Pakaku

I think the only way would be if you remembered to save your SHSH blobs, since old firmware stops being signed by Apple. You'd need those blobs and a copy of the firmware you intend on restoring to. But even that process is hardly guaranteed to work, as far as my experience goes.

If it's only because of battery life, you probably don't have much to lose by upgrading, and you'll be up to date and un-jailbroken.

19. deluxeshredder macrumors 6502a

7.1.1 is still much slower and buggier than 6.1.3.

20. headsh0t95 macrumors regular

SHSH blobs only work on iPod touch 4g and lower, so that is not an option for you.

21. $M.H$ macrumors member

I have jealbreak