ÆØÅ Not Working in Google Docs and Open Office

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Soren Madsen, Nov 11, 2014.

1. Soren Madsen, Nov 11, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2014

Soren Madsen macrumors newbie

Hi,

I am Danish and fresh out of the Windows world. Wehu!

MacBook Pro
    Software: OS X 10.9.5 (13F34)

PROBLEM:
    I am a professional grant writer and need to use ÆØÅ all the time. I bought my MacBook in Thailand where I live so it does not come with ÆØÅ keys.

The press and hold O and A for accented alternatives only work for ÆØÅ in a few programs :(. For example, it works in Google Docs but not in Google Sheets. It works in Microsoft Word 2011 but not in Open Office Apache 4.

I found other people with a similar problem, but not solutions: http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/117434/press-and-hold-for-accents-does-not-work-everytime

Guys, I need your help! I need to use Google Docs, alternatively Open Office, but NOT having Word as a single option for text files. I really want to leave Windows, so please help me out so that I can get the most out of my new MacBook Pro.

Thanks,
    Cheers
    Soren Madsen

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Can you use the Option key instead?

Option-Shift-' = Æ
    Option-Shift-O = Ø

I don't know how to get the other character; Option-A gives å but Option-Shift-A does nothing at my end... but try it anyway.

3. Soren Madsen thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi Nermal,

Thanks for taking time out to answer my question. Spot on! How can I top rate your answer?

Best regards,
    Soren

4. MacInTO macrumors 6502a

MacInTO

If you use Yosemite, there is a new feature to get these characters.

Æ & Å = hold shift+A and you will see the selection of options.

Ø = hold shift+O and you will see a selection of options.

I found out by accident when I was writing something that needed accents. No need to remember anything now! :)

5. Soren Madsen thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi MacInTO,

Thanks for taking time out to help me.

I knew this Press and hold for alternatives shortcuts and I have been used them for a while. In my opinion, the ALT functions is better and faster, works with capital letters, and in more programs. But thank you again.

Cheers,
    Soren

6. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Good to hear that it's working! You can click the little "up arrow" in the bottom-right corner if you like :)

Edit: Actually, I think that you need a certain number of posts before that shows up, so don't worry about it.

7. Soren Madsen thread starter macrumors newbie