ìPhone 4 back scratches way too easy

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Merkie, Jan 1, 2011.

1. Merkie macrumors 68020

I received my refurbished iPhone on Monday, used it with extreme caution until my case arrived Wednesday and then put it in the case. It was 100% scratch free when I put the phone in the case. Today I removed the case to see how my iPhone was holding up and I discovered one small scratch. I guess it's impossible to keep the back scratch free.

2. JCCL macrumors 6502a

The back on mine is scratch free, and I have it since August. I am protecting it just with one cheap silicone case. I have found that it is much easier to protect the iPhone 4's back than those of the 3GS and 3G, that always got scratched.

3. solideliquid macrumors 6502

solideliquid

Is the case a "slider" type case? Those have been known to scratch iPhones for a while due to dust particles rubbing on the phone inside the case.

4. Merkie thread starter macrumors 68020

No it's not a slider case. It's the Incase Snap Smoke.

5. jedivulcan macrumors 6502

I agree... while I don't have a lab coat and any measurable amount of science to back it up, some keen mark I eyeball before/after observations on my own show that it is painfully easy to scratch the glass on the back.

6. SL4VE macrumors 6502

i have been using a incase smoke snap case for months with no sign of any scratches.. not even minor... you sure there wasnt any dirt/dust/fine particles between the incase and iPhone

7. Merkie thread starter macrumors 68020

I cleaned the back and the case both very thoroughly.

8. zephxiii macrumors 6502

I have a zagg dry invisibleshield on the back of my 4, it will stay perfect forever!!

9. sk4prez2020 macrumors member

sk4prez2020

Zagg!

AGREED! I saw Apple Store employee do the whole "a key " won't even scratch it" demostration, so I first went naked with my iPhone 4 and it got scratched terribly. Then I got very lucky and it overheated, I screenshotted the "Do not use iPhone, temperature extremely high" warning, and they gave me a new one, I put a Zagg on mine too, and it's scratch free! Zagg has big scratch though, they're supposedly scratch free I'll get a replacement though lifetime warranty! :apple:

10. Infraggable Kru macrumors regular

My back is 100% scratch free

This is why a bumper is superior to a case.

MY SGP hybrid EX bumper + 3M carbon fiber skin is not only thinner than a case but offers more scratch protection

I don't really even mind scratches ( my front is completely naked) I just didn't like the smudgy look of fingerprints on the rear glass.

11. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

I have my iP4 since launch.

It has been naked for most of this time and not a scratch.

12. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

The back on my iphone has some really minor scratches (can only be seen under direct light at a certain angle) no big deal, and MUCH more scratch resistant than my 3G was. I am much more worried about cracking the back than scratching it. If the scratches bother you so much, have apple replace the back, forgot how much they charge but it isn't much.

13. ozzyman500 macrumors 65816

Wtf is the world coming to? It's a ****ing mobile device...hello mobile, you use it on the go, bound to get scratched.

14. Merkie thread starter macrumors 68020

I used it with a case and was extremely careful with it. And it still got scratched.

15. ozzyman500 macrumors 65816

It's a phone, made out of glass, do you expect it to be scratch free forever? For ****'s sake.

I personally think the scratches on the back make it look cooler, but that's just me.

16. Aatos.1 macrumors 6502

I believe the key to a scratch free iPhone 4 is to simply clean it once a week. I remove mine from the case, clean it, and reinstall the case. I've yet to see any scratches.

17. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

I've had my iPhone 4 since August, and with the exception of one hairline scratch on the back of the phone, it's immaculate. I have never had a case on it, and it's either in my coat or jeans pocket when I'm not using it. It also is cleaned nightly with a micro fiber cloth.

18. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

I also have the incase snap and I have not even one minor scratch on the back. I do clean mine almost every day or every other day jus to make sure there isn't any dust or dirt. It isnt here to keep stuff from between the case and the backing.

19. i3igsmooth5769 macrumors 6502a

i3igsmooth5769

I definitely use a shield on the back to avoid possible scratches.