macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget

lowendlinux

Contributor
Sep 24, 2014
North Country (way upstate NY)
It's to influence behavior not really to generate revenue and that tax is happening all over the world. Personally I'd rather see them ban high fructose corn syrup in beverages and food than just tax the soda itself. Obesity is a public health concern so I would imagine there is going to be more attempts to influence behavior through taxation.

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
It's to influence behavior not really to generate revenue and that tax is happening all over the world. Personally I'd rather see them ban high fructose corn syrup in beverages and food than just tax the soda itself. Obesity is a public health concern so I would imagine there is going to be more attempts to influence behavior through taxation.
Liberals “ here, have this nice tax payer funded clean room you so can shoot up with illegal drugs”
Also liberals “how DARE you drink that soda, I’m going to tax it to change your ways”

lowendlinux

Contributor
Sep 24, 2014
Liberals “ here, have this nice tax payer funded clean room you so can shoot up with illegal drugs”
Also liberals “how DARE you drink that soda, I’m going to tax it to change your ways”
Two different public health issues and two different ways to address it.

Remember a couple years ago before your imposed hiatus we had the thread about eating better and someone made the comment about McDonalds and its calories per dollar value makes it a value to low income people those are the kinds of things we need to fix because they're true. Government can disincentivise one and incentivize another. In any case the world is trying to deal with the fat problem this is one way and one part of the problem.

Reactions: LizKat

mudslag

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2010

Agreed, but not only is obesity a health concern in general concerns, it's taxing on the health care system itself which costs the tax payers in the long run.

BernyMac

macrumors regular
May 18, 2015
USA
They should tax spoons, too. And if they use their fingers to eat, tax each digit. That'll learn these fatties! Remove taxes on every sale of exercise equipment and subsidize membership in a gym. Incentivize sexiness!

BernyMac

macrumors regular
May 18, 2015
USA
Did you use Amsoil to lube that slope you just jumped down?
Pfft! Amsoil is for small thinkers. Whale oil. I also used it to keep to you from getting butthurt, but I guess it didn't work. I don't take things seriously in here, neither should you. But, you are free to choose.

Last edited:

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors 604
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
We introduced a sugar tax last year to try and combat obesity but not sure if it’s worked or not. It’s to early to tell. I’m all for putting high taxes on tobacco, alcohol and sugary food and fast food though as it has a lot to answer for.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors 604
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
The other part is we need to incentivize people to walk and such.
Exactly, a significant push on healthy living is needed too. In the UK we banned smoking in public places like pubs, restaurants and every enclosed public space in 2007. The price of tobacco went up and now a packet of fags costs about £9 ($11.77). We’ve seen a significant drop in smoking related cancers and it’s much nicer going to places not filled with smoke. Sure the industry has suffered in terms of establishments disappearing but it’s levelling out. The same can be done with sugary foods I feel and hopefully they’ll be less appealing to the masses. We all like to indulge I know, but some people do it on a daily basis and cost our health services hundreds of millions a year.

Tax the fatties I say lol.

lowendlinux

Contributor
Sep 24, 2014
Exactly, a significant push on healthy living is needed too. In the UK we banned smoking in public places like pubs, restaurants and every enclosed public space in 2007. The price of tobacco went up and now a packet of fags costs about £9 ($11.77). We’ve seen a significant drop in smoking related cancers and it’s much nicer going to places not filled with smoke. Sure the industry has suffered in terms of establishments disappearing but it’s levelling out. The same can be done with sugary foods I feel and hopefully they’ll be less appealing to the masses. We all like to indulge I know, but some people do it on a daily basis and cost our health services hundreds of millions a year.

Tax the fatties I say lol.
We banned smoking inside in 01 IIRC, cigarette prices vary state by state but in NY they're every bit of $10-$12. The issue I see for Americans is we tend to work more hours than most Europe and eat worse than Asia and Europe so proper meal planning isn't happening nor is dedicated exercise time.

It's systemic in the states and we going to have to figure out a way to address it and not just through taxes.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors 604
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
We banned smoking inside in 01 IIRC, cigarette prices vary state by state but in NY they're every bit of $10-$12. The issue I see for Americans is we tend to work more hours than most Europe and eat worse than Asia and Europe so proper meal planning isn't happening nor is dedicated exercise time.

It's systemic in the states and we going to have to figure out a way to address it and not just through taxes.
I agree as you can’t just tax something without other incentives etc. Tax should be part of it though as it offers a deterrent initially. Companies should be forced to offer leisure incentives to staff and time for people to enjoy it. That could be a government driven scheme like in countries like Holland.

America does have crap employment laws though so it’s a big thing to try and introduce. Do you guys still only get 2 weeks holiday a year or am I out of date on that?

lowendlinux

Contributor
Sep 24, 2014
I agree as you can’t just tax something without other incentives etc. Tax should be part of it though as it offers a deterrent initially. Companies should be forced to offer leisure incentives to staff and time for people to enjoy it. That could be a government driven scheme like in countries like Holland.

America does have crap employment laws though so it’s a big thing to try and introduce. Do you guys still only get 2 weeks holiday a year or am I out of date on that?
Heck it's not even the two weeks of vacation, the lack of real maternity and paternity leave, etc it's the long work days and the long commutes. If you head out for work at 6-630 and get home at 19-1930 youv'e still got to cook, check homework, do laundry, shopping and all that wheres the time for the walk?

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
Heck it's not even the two weeks of vacation, the lack of real maternity and paternity leave, etc it's the long work days and the long commutes. If you head out for work at 6-630 and get home at 19-1930 youv'e still got to cook, check homework, do laundry, shopping and all that wheres the time for the walk?
walked my dogs as late as midnight .

JagdTiger

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2017
They could just ban soft drinks, this is for money.
[doublepost=1550688283][/doublepost]
The hamburger tax, what will McDonald’s do then?

JagdTiger

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2017
Hon
Wonder if this will be mentioned in the upcoming film Bill And Ted: Face The Music? lol Be Excellent to each other!

But being serious.. just another tax that is stupid.
Honestly, when I was a projectionist I projected both those two films, it was like a Disney film, more for children than adults...are they going to time travel in this one too?
[doublepost=1550688592][/doublepost]
They should tax spoons, too. And if they use their fingers to eat, tax each digit. That'll learn these fatties! Remove taxes on every sale of exercise equipment and subsidize membership in a gym. Incentivize sexiness!
Yes and the people should be taxed for paying taxes.
[doublepost=1550688738][/doublepost]
Agreed, but not only is obesity a health concern in general concerns, it's taxing on the health care system itself which costs the tax payers in the long run.
The medical community makes money off of illness not cures, that would put phamacia out of business.
[doublepost=1550688846][/doublepost]
Did you use Amsoil to lube that slope you just jumped down?
A town in California did ban straws.
[doublepost=1550688913][/doublepost]
The other part is we need to incentivize people to walk and such.
Design walking parks, there are some paths in mountains a person could walk they’re dog or cats or bird.