‘Brexit’ Expected to Rattle U.S. Economy, Shake Its Influence

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by shinji, Jun 23, 2016.

1. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

http://www.wsj.com/articles/brexit-expected-to-rattle-u-s-economy-shake-its-influence-1466741275

But on the bright side, a vacation to England just got a whole lot cheaper.

2. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Not just the U.S. It already rattled the Asian markets.

3. garirry macrumors 68000

garirry

Congratulations everyone. That's what ignorance gets you.

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Independence Day, my ass. More like Black Friday. Man, my portfolio futures are ugly.

5. FieldingMellish Suspended

Thread title is similar to a Bill Haley song.

6. Desertrat macrumors newbie

As with our own government, the EU policy folks in Brussels don't give a rat's patoot about the working stiffs. It's all for the Banksters. The fallout from Brexit will encourage separatists in Holland, France, Italy and other nations. It's pretty obvious that nationalism is on the rise after all these years of failure of central planning.

7. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

And in the past nationalism has lead to war in Europe. If the EU falls apart due to nationalist sentiment I don't think it would be too far fetched to have another war in 20-30 years. The nationalist parties will need to have someone to blame when their economies get worse upon leaving the EU and neighboring countries will make a nice boogeyman to blame.

8. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

let the market go on sale. there's enough of us out there ready to buy up some good deals.

9. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Also, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

Meanwhile, when this finally goes through, no more cheap European beer, wine, sausage, chocolate, cheese, clothes, cars, etc. :(

10. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

It is axiomatic that markets react to uncertainty. It does not require pearl-clutching, fainting couches, or safe spaces.

It's just how the world works.

11. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

The Spanish have already reasserted their claim to Gibraltar. Things didn't go to well for peace when the last Spanish-speaking country claimed a small protectorate of the UK against the wishes of the people living there.

12. boast macrumors 65816

boast

You think your liberal ethics make you superior to others and then resort to name calling to keep yourself feeling like an elitist?

13. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Wasn't me.

14. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

****ing Brits are killing my 403b today.

15. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Considering Gibralter went over 90% remain they may not be as against it. Of course I doubt that will matter to the rest of the U.K.

16. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

What exactly are the benefits of being a UK resident of Gibralter? I continue to be surprised that the England hasn't succeeded in giving NI back to Ireland and Gibralter back to Spain. They certainly are costly mementoes of times past. (12th and 18th centuries.)

17. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I'm not sure what the benefits are to them of staying part of the U.K. Maybe there are some that will keep them in, but I couldn't imagine living there and wanting to have border controls imposed again with Spain.

18. Desertrat macrumors newbie

mrkramer, have you watched as our administration has been pushing the EU into war with Russia? Elect NeoCon Hillary and it won't be any 20 or 30 years until the shooting starts. She appears to be quite comfortable with the Wolfowitz Doctrine, given her decisions as SecState.

Ironic how upset we were at Soviet missiles in "Cuber" in 1962, but somehow Putin is seen as Hitlerian for resenting NATO (well, actually, US) missiles right up against the Russian border. According to our esteemed governmental VIPs, any sign of a willingness for self-defense against "regime change" is somehow described as "unwarranted aggression".

19. vrDrew macrumors 65816

The British made a bad decision yesterday. One I think they'll come to regret. Its not a catastrophe. But one which will have ramifications that I think a lot of the "Leave" voters haven't fully considered. And the "Leave" vote was made to address problems that leaving the EU will not actually solve.

To begin to understand the "Leave" vote, one needs to consider London, as a city. Because while it remains the capital of Great Britain, and the seat of its Government, London is no longer a British city. Its a global one. Its also a place that the vast majority of British people have no possible hope enjoying a normal middle-class existence in. The traditionally upper- and middle-class neighborhoods of Belgravia; Knightsbridge; Chelsea; and St. Johns Wood have long since been gobbled up by the global financial elite. The British "working" people (everyone from barristers and doctors to accountants and university professors) who formerly might have bought houses there are now finding refuge south of the river, and far to the east in the (formerly) shabby wastelands of Poplar and Barking. Or they endure a 90 minute one-way commute, on an increasingly unreliable public transport system, from the vast swathe of towns that form a hundred-mile circle around southern England.

Housing prices in London have made the capital, and principal city, of Britain unobtainable for most British families. (To make matters worse, even if your parents own a home in central London, you can't hope to inherit it. The swingeing British inheritance taxes make that impossible.)

Leaving the EU is unlikely to change that.

20. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Let's see what it looks like 6 months from now... and the UK may become a real value for vacations. ;)

21. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

congrats to them.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 24, 2016 ---
    [​IMG]

22. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Right now, there aren't any outside of tradition. They have, through their governor, vehemently stated that they want to remain in the UK and in the EU. Spain, on the other hand, has wanted to annex that land back for the past 300 years since ceding it to Britain. With Leave prevailing, once EU Article 50 is executed, Spain can close its border with Gibraltar, as Gibraltar will no longer be granted free movement (EU policy). That all but kills the jobs and economy in Gibraltar, as it is that free movement between Spain and Gibraltar that powers their economy.

As far as options, Gibraltar is screwed. While Scotland could hold another referendum to declare independence from the UK and if that succeeds, apply for admission to the EU, there would be no country that could oppose it. If Gibraltar did the same (declared independence from the UK and apply for the EU), Spain could and more than likely would veto its application, as it wants that land back. Gibraltar wouldn't want to give it back, so it stands to be stranded completely on its own.

I asked that question and what would become of this to those supporting Leave in the Eu Vote UK thread, and got crickets.

BL.

23. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I think fears over the future of Gibraltar over somewhat overstated. And Spain is unlikely to push its territorial claims. It has bigger worries of its own (Catalonia) to consider before getting into a shoving match with Britain over a speck of land that is all but worthless. More Spanish people make their living working in Gibraltar than the other way around.

Gibraltar's main importance is of a military strategic one. In very brief terms, it makes it very difficult to get ships into or out of the Mediterranean if the people who control Gibraltar don't want you to. British control of Gibraltar was the reason Hitler couldn't get U-Boats into the Mediterranean. Which is why Rommel was always undersupplied, and why the Afrika Korps was always inevitably doomed.

Interesting though that might be from an historical standpoint, its hard to see that sort of naval strategic chokepoint playing a very big part in the 21st century.

24. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Which is probably the reason why this won't turn out so pretty for the UK. The EU is aware of this, and will now be playing hardball when renegotiating trade.

I doubt it'll be flat out mean and vindictive, but they won't be getting any ex-sweetheart deals.