‘Gods of Egypt’ Studio and Director Apologize for White Cast

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Nov 30, 2015.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/gods-of-egypt-studio-and-1311241228304438.html

I don't see the big deal.

2. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

A movie based on Egyptian mythology? Unless we're talking mummies, it's straight to video...

3. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

4. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Don't discount it. Alex Proyas made Dark City, so it could end up being awesome.

5. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

There is a version of the Wizard of Oz coming out this December using an all black cast. Oz is being played by a black woman. Oh the outrage!

Fantasy movies can cast whoever as whatever. That is sort of the point of fantasy. Gods of Egypt is not a documentary.

6. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

That's been pretty much done already with The Wiz.

7. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Doesn't look like that great of a movie to begin with. My guess is they are trying to stir up controversy to drive ticket sales by getting people to go to see why people are complaining about it.

8. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Given the subject matter wouldn't you expect the whole cast to look Egyptian?

9. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Too late. Someone was offended and Proyas and Lionsgate have already performed the mandatory ritualistic self-flagellation and groveling.

10. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

it's a movie, not a documentary.

11. FieldingMellish Suspended

We had the same in 2014 with Ridley Scott's Exodus: Gods and Kings. It opened to, what else? Outrage over non-brown looking Egyptians.

Meanwhile, cast blacks and Hispanics as drug dealing gang bangers and the movie will catch hell for stereotyping. Go figure.

12. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

It is The Wiz. Airing live on NBC like last year's Peter Pan and, I think, the year before's Sound of Music.

13. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

I'm far from outraged over this, but movies should be realistic. I always thought movies and shows that had 30 year old actors playing teenagers were ridiculous. I feel the same way about movies like this.

14. Sedulous, Nov 30, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2015

Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

The difference is this is not a remake of The Wiz. I honestly do not care except for the hypocrisy. We keep being told that color shouldn't matter. Yet it seems to matter to some for issues where it definitely should not matter. The Wizard of Oz can be anyone. Cast a black woman, fine. But be sure to go bananas if a fictitious Egyptian is cast using a Scotsman.

You are correct. I guess I keep forgetting that it is "The Wiz". I wonder why. The Wiz took place in a place that looked like New York using characters that only vaguely reflected those of the Wizard of Oz. The "remake" is clearly not a remake of the Wiz, it is a remake of the Wizard of Oz.

15. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Don't think that matters. If it's a movie about Japanese mythology the actors should generally be Japanese to make it believable.

Probably because all the gang bangers in the movie are black. Whereas (unless the gang is specifically only black or only hispanic) there should be a mix of races.

16. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Me personally, I really don't care so long as the actor can convincingly play the part. While this might be more up in the air when it concerns historical figures (a Japanese George Washington might be pushing things a bit), a Scotsman playing an Egyptian god doesn't bother me in the least.

17. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

did you ever catch Sons of Anarchy?

18. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

I am more outraged by the original portraying the Witch of the West as the bad guy. If you look at it objectively, you'll see that she is actually the victim. All she wanted was the return of her family's property, the ruby slippers, from that homicidal hussy, Dorothy.

How do you feel about the Duke portraying the leader of the Mongol hordes? Frankly, I found the southern drawl rather unconvincing for Ghengis Khan.:p The Dr. Suess costumeso_O and historical inaccuracies:rolleyes: were more nails in the coffin.

19. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

He also made "Knowing" and "I Robot." Hard to say, if the script isn't very good they're in trouble no matter how good the director is. For example: "Prometheus."

What bothers me is the weird accents everyone takes on when they're in a mythological film. Basically, Gerard Butler does the same accent as Leonidas in "300" that Russel Crowe does in "Noah." And both end up sounding like gravely versions of Chris Hemsworth's "Thor" or Liam Neeson in "Wrath of the Titans."

I think some are ignoring what this really means for Hollywood. Up until fairly recently, it was common to use white actors to portray races, getting us Charleton Heston as a Mexican man in "Touch of Evil" and Fisher Stevens as an Indian man in the "Short Circuit" series.

This means two things: first, it means that Mexican and Indian actors are bypassed for white actors, and second, it means portrayals of different races are more likely to fall into racist cliches.

Now, I think that activists are failing their argument by choosing to fight over the racial depictions of Egyptian gods or biblical characters—in "Thor" Heimdal was played by Idris Elba, and no one seemed to care—however, we tend to act like white and male is the default for any character.

So, the question remains, are producers choosing actors on their ability to evoke a wrathful Set or Horus, or because the actors were bankable, or because they were white and male?

20. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

21. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

No, but it is set in a real country, and is based (loosely) on the beliefs of ancient people in that country.

Imagine if Robin Hood was played by Jackie Chan.

22. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

THAT would be great, Jackie does all his own stunts .

23. Sedulous, Nov 30, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2015

Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

Ok, so what?

The point is it really should not matter. I wouldn't take issue with a black woman playing Guinevere (a reference to the Merlin series on BBC). But somehow it IS an issue if white actors play ethnic roles. Either it matters or it does not. Cannot have it both ways.

24. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Can't believe there are no English actors that do their own stunts.

25. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

You may be okay with it, but I garantee you there would be people on the right up at arms. Saying its PC and diversity gone too far.