"‘Never Gary Johnson’: He’s Not Conservative and Not Even All That Libertarian"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by thermodynamic, Sep 3, 2016.

1. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/435704/gary-johnson-libertarian-party-2016-conservatives

Article has more, but am surprised they don't mention his adoration of the TPP in its current form

2. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

I watched one of his town halls on CNN and he struct me as a bag of hot air. Not much depth on any of his answers but high on rhetoric.

3. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

No depth. No programs. No chance.

4. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68040

Mac'nCheese

Well thank god the truth is coming out. He was getting real close in the polls.

5. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

LOL...

For my money Johnson could be high on jellybeans as long as he makes Trump's election less probable.

Triangulation --trying to appeal to left and right-- by the likes of a Donald Trump is possibly a winning strategy in a year of populism surging from both ends of the political spectrum. Trump’s not very good at it because he’s not a subtle guy (!) but he needs to broaden his appeal past whatever he can get from Republicans who didn’t vote for him in the primaries.

A candidate like Gary Johnson can be a monkeywrench thrown into Trump’s efforts since Johnson’s libertarian views may also resonate with populists from right and left. His potential to draw from the left hurts Clinton less than it hurts Trump, and his drawing from the right only hurts Trump.

The bottom line there is that Johnson is triangulating too, and whatever Johnson has to say on the stump, he is not barnstorming on the dubious platform of setting groups of Americans against each other over immutables like ethnic heritage. He may not appeal to some voters but he doesn’t go out of his way to alienate entire groups of them.

The big thing Trump seems not to realize is that you cannot actually triangulate using divisive themes like xenophobia and racism. Think cutting a slice out of a pizza. You have your eye on this or that slice, but it’s the pie getting away from you as you make your choices.

Meanwhile Clinton’s out there triangulating like crazy at ground level and drawing big donors from left and right in her fundraising as well. She knows that the likely to vote crowd is still more centrist than anything else. Clinton’s eye is on all that pizza Trump’s leaving behind as he tries to nip this or that slice from the pie.

Absurdly, Trump still seems focused on the slice he nicked out of the pie from the primaries. Getting stale there, Donny boy...

A general election is a zero-sum game. Triangulation works if you work it. Trump is working it wrong, despite what may be valiant efforts by a team coming way too late to the effort. Meanwhile Gary Johnson’s appeal to some populists, no matter how limited, is an additional obstacle to Trump’s success.

6. IronWaffle, Sep 3, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2016
  7. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

I would walk five miles for great pizza. Fortunately for NYS stats on obesity, nearest place is 15 miles RT.

When I consider Gary Johnson and the Libertarians' 2016 platform, I start thinking well hey I could go for this, and this... but then I get down to where Johnson has stated he favors private for-profit prisons, and opposes net neutrality and I realize he's more laissez-faire regarding market-driven business decisions than I think a President of the USA needs to be at this time. Maybe it's because I live in the sticks and around here there's limited competition in areas like net access provision to begin with.

As for education: leaving it completely up to the states would not likely result in states picking best practices from among their separate "50 labs of innovation". Johnson is smoking some good dope there. We'd have some pretty innovative efforts in some cities or states, and some dismally narrowminded (or overly experimental) fiats in others.

Parents interested in specific educational situations might be able to choose to move to one state or another as word of mouth spread about this or that way of educating American children, but jobs can certainly constrain mobility and so do personal finances. Not having some federal input would throw American public school kids into more of a lottery than they're already in, seems to me.

Johnson figures there's actually a net cost to the states of having federal financing with the strings attached to it, and I can understand wanting to unravel that to have another look, but not just throwing it out and saying hey do it your way. Doing it their way, some states will do what they do best which is cut services. Who needs subversive art, music and literature teachers anyway. Plus when you get to the science departments, could be time to cut these guys with fancy ideas God never intended man to have. Now I'm not saying Gary Johnson looks at education this way. I'm saying some locales in some states will do exactly that, and it amounts to shortchanging their own children and therefore the USA on the future.

8. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

On the other hand, he's also not a narcissistic idiot...