“Computers” content in the TV App

WebHead

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2004
My mistake. I’ve never experienced this. iTunes is always running for me. My Mac is on 24/7 so it’s always authorized. I didn’t have internet for 4-5 days and Home Sharing worked the entire time for me. I only streamed my own ripped content. Maybe it’s changed. This was years ago when it worked for me.

Yes, somewhere along the line this changed unfortunately. Home Sharing needs an internet connection even for your own content.

JBaby

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2015
Yes, somewhere along the line this changed unfortunately. Home Sharing needs an internet connection even for your own content.
This is super dumb. I get needing to authorize iTunes content, but why do the movies I make with iMovie need it? Or the videos I rip?

priitv8

macrumors 68040
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
This is super dumb. I get needing to authorize iTunes content, but why do the movies I make with iMovie need it? Or the videos I rip?
As far as I understand it, HS authenticates AppleID credentials.
Obviously, Apple can also profile what and when we watch, like everyone else in this business.
They just may not sell this data, unlike some others in this business.

JBaby

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2015
As far as I understand it, HS authenticates AppleID credentials.
Obviously, Apple can also profile what and when we watch, like everyone else in this business.
They just may not sell this data, unlike some others in this business.
Only iTunes content should be disabled. Not the videos I make in iMovie. If it’s not DRMed don’t disable it. Basically disable at the content level not the entire Home Sharing feature.

priitv8

macrumors 68040
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
Only iTunes content should be disabled. Not the videos I make in iMovie. If it’s not DRMed don’t disable it. Basically disable at the content level not the entire Home Sharing feature.
I get your point. But HS won't connect from aTV to your iTunes shared library without logging in with AppleID first.
I might check it if I get time - but I suspect this happens at regular intervals.
I.e. if you watch something over HS and internet disconnects, playback stops after a while as well.

WebHead

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2004
The latest developments with the Mac media apps is that Music will be based on iTunes, not the iOS Music app. Still no word on Home Sharing support for it or the TV app (beyond home movies).

One could always tag movies as home movies, but that wouldn't solve the issue of TV shows, music videos etc.

priitv8

macrumors 68040
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
I might check it if I get time - but I suspect this happens at regular intervals.
I.e. if you watch something over HS and internet disconnects, playback stops after a while as well.
I was wrong on this - after testing, I can say that once started, the movie plays also without internet connection.
But to be able to browse your library and start playback, you will need internet connection.

WebHead

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2004
The new TV app for macOS has a "Library" tab but it remains to be seen if that is purely purchased content or if you can add your own:

Last edited: