Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

qubex

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Hello.

I’m running macOS Sierra (latest public beta build 16A312a).

Yesterday I rotated my iCloud password (as I am wont to do for safety) and all hell broke loose. Photos crash on launch and whenever I enable photos sharing in the iCloud control panel (this may, or may not, be related).

At some point a notification that read “finish changing your iCloud password” flashed up but the ensuing Photos crash prevented me from reading it completely and following through whatever it indicated I should do.

My operating hypothesis is that the password change didn’t percolate through every crevasse macOS and some component or another is still trying to access iCloud with the old password, causing an unexpected exception somewhere when some call is made that is assumed to be authenticated, and causing the process that made it to quit violently.

Since the enigmatic box has not yet reappeared, can any of you tell me what it might have indicated I should do?

Most obliged.

silvenon

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2016
Zagreb, Croatia
El Capitan also said some weird things about iCloud and I could never figure out what it wants me to do. On Sierra I got the same notification you described, clicking on it opened my iCloud preferences, afterwards it required my iCloud password, then my user password (those two are separate now) saying that it's required to do some changes. But nothing happened after that.

It's frustrating, because it keeps asking me to do something without specifying what and why.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.