“Is it actually 4K?”

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Onimusha370, Sep 22, 2017.

1. Onimusha370 macrumors 6502a

As someone with average internet speed, I wondered if someone with great internet could help me out...

When I start watching a 4K movie and then flick down on the remote to bring up the info tab, it only says “HD” and not 4K. I wondered if this is the same experience for everyone? I guess I’m just worried that I’m watching 1080p video and convincing myself that it’s in 4K, and that my internet isn’t good enough to stream it...

Any replies greatly appreciated!

2. Spankey macrumors 6502a

Check the video settings of your Apple TV. What is it set at? Are you sure you are watching a 4k movie? Remember, a lot of 4k HDR releases are actually 2k uprezzes.

3. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

I have my ATV set to 4K HDR 60Hz. When I select a 4K movie and pull down to get the info tab, mine says 4K.

4. AidenL macrumors 6502

I suppose the big question is, does Info indicate Native Resolution, or what the box is upscaling to?

5. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

Ok, so I just tried to play Dawn of the Planet of the Apes which is listed as 4K HDR but when I play it, the info only says HD (and it's clearly only HD).

I switched to Rise of the Planet of the Apes, also listed in 4K HDR and that plays and shows 4K in the info.

I'm wondering if they are having issues with the labeling and the streams. I've had movies that showed 4K yesterday only show HD today.

6. tomandshell macrumors regular

Several movies that were listed in my library as 4K yesterday now only say HD. Several of the Bond and Bourne films, for example, and the new Mummy.

7. Onimusha370 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the reply, I'm set at 4k 60fps in settings
    --- Post Merged, Sep 22, 2017 ---
    Thanks for the reply. Worries me that you've seen a "4k" icon in the info bar and I haven't! Hopefully that doesn't mean I'm watching in 1080p :(

8. Che Castro macrumors 603

Back in the day years ago I would start a stream on Netflix and call them up and ask what is the currently playing movie streaming at

Try that

9. Pug72 macrumors 6502a

Pug72

I'm afraid if you don't have 15Mb minimum broadband the Apple TV will not stream 4K content.
    It's why mine is packed up, return organised.

I have 10-12Mb internet and so mine too only streamed 1080p. Why it can't just buffer longer like every other service I can use does on several devices such as the TV apps, Xbox One S, PS4 Pro.

(Some suggest turning off Quick Play in app settings, doesn't work)