“Shorts Eyes” Roman Polanski escapes extradition to answer for sex with a minor.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by FieldingMellish, Nov 27, 2015.

1. FieldingMellish Suspended

As reported on IMDB, auteur child molestor Polanski is now free from having to face extradition to face charges in the United States.

“Speaking for Polanski, I can say that we feel a great relief that this case has ended. And this means that it will be possible for Polanski to start making a planned film in Poland,” Jan Olszewski, one of Polanski’s lawyers, said, according to Reuters.”

The entertainment industry can breath a sigh of relief. Not that it would prevent them from making money with these creative criminals. Hey, it’s just sex, right?

Whoopie Goldberg once caught hell for defense by specificity in that she claimed Polanski’s wasn’t Rape-rape. (real rape)

A while back, Polanski was able to plea bargain from rape and sodomy to where he admitted unlawful sexual intercourse with a minor.

As reported by the Telegraph in 2009:
    “Over a hundred Hollywood types vouched for Polanski. They include leading Hollywood figures Martin Scorcese, Woody Allen, David Lynch, Wim Wenders, Pedro Almodovar, Tilda Swinton and Monica Bellucci.

One celebrity supporter, the actress Debra Winger, said it was a "three-decades-old case that is dead but for minor technicalities. We stand by him and await his release and his next masterpiece."
    “Movie mogul Harvey Weinstein said Polanski was a "humanist" who had been the victim of a "miscarriage of justice". He said: "We will have to speak to our leaders, particularly in California. I'm not too shy to go and talk to the Governor of California, Arnold Schwarzenegger, and to ask him once and for all to look at this." However, the views of the Hollywood elite seemed out of step with those of ordinary Americans and they now face a backlash.”

Yeah, right. that went nowhere.

Another site of late indicated that even rapist Mike Tyson was forgiven and given his own cartoon show on ‘Mike Tyson Mysteries’

And then there’s all the male entertainers and stars that beat women senseless, yet the men are still on the stage and screen.

2. Huntn Suspended

Huntn

Was it consensual? That has much bearing IMO, on the severity of punishment. Interesting read:

Age of Cosent Laws

An age of consent statute first appeared in secular law in 1275 in England as part of the rape law. The statute, Westminster 1, made it a misdemeanor to "ravish" a "maiden within age," whether with or without her consent. The phrase "within age" was interpreted by jurist Sir Edward Coke as meaning the age of marriage, which at the time was 12 years of age.

A 1576 law making it a felony to "unlawfully and carnally know and abuse any woman child under the age of 10 years" was generally interpreted as creating more severe punishments when girls were under 10 years old while retaining the lesser punishment for acts with 10- and 11-year-old girls. Jurist Sir Matthew Hale argued that the age of consent applied to 10- and 11-year-old girls, but most of England's North American colonies adopted the younger age. A small group of Italian and German states that introduced an age of consent in the 16th century also employed 12 years.

3. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    It was consensual in the sense that she did okayed it without protest, but she was also 15 (I believe) at the time, which means she wasn't old enough to give legal consent. It's statutory rape all the way.

4. Huntn Suspended

Huntn

I understand statutory rape. I think she was 13. These days, with evidence of sexually active kids, and trying to turn an 18 year old into a pedophiles who has sex with their willing 15 year old girl friend, I believe that consensual should be a consideration in the handing out of the punishment. The link shows a historical relationship to puberty and an age to not only give consent but to get married at one point. Statutory rape in cases where a participant has not reached puberty is a no-brainer.

5. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

When it comes to a 16 year old having sex with an 18 year old, that's only statutory rape by the barest definition of the world. Considering they're peers, roughly of the same level of maturity, It's a grey area, but I don't have much of a problem with that.

But a 13 year old having sex with a 40 year old? Hell, that's why we have statutory rape laws in the first place. The act of consent doesn't matter in this instance, because the minor isn't of legal age, and the adult, who's over twice the victim's age, should know better.

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

He ****ing drugged and raped a 13 year old girl. Period.

7. hwojtek macrumors 6502a

hwojtek

While the case is quite clear regarding the technical aspect, you should read up about the mother of the girl. The victims' book and later statements also give a lot of new light on this case.

8. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Without getting into the details of the the Polansky case, this is about the decision of a judge in Poland not to grant prosecutors there the right to extradite him back to the United States.

Poland has lived for years in France, which lacks a formal extradition treaty with the US.

The charges against Polansky in the United States remain in effect, and will continue to do so. Polansky will probably never be "free" from the chance of being extradited back to the United States. At the very least, this severely restricts his freedom to travel internationally.

9. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Pretty sure he got her drunk and rape raped her.

10. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

It's been so long since I've read about any of this, but I do kinda recall her saying that it was willing on her part.

Not that it matters much, because she was still 13.

11. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Its just from Wikipedia but still:

"Geimer testified that Polanski provided champagne that they shared as well as part of a quaalude,[17] and despite her protests, he performed oral, vaginal, and anal sex acts upon her,[18][19] each time after being told 'no' and being asked to stop."

Sounds like ****ing rape rape to me.

12. jerwin macrumors 65816

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/poland-not-extradite-roman-polanski-u-s-article-1.2448180

Reading the details of Polanski's legal maneuverings brought to mind Jared Fogle's plea deal-- the defense promised to ask for no less than 5 years, the prosecutors, for no more than 12.5 years, and ultimately, the judge decided on 15 years eight months. So, yeah, plea deals don't always go as planned.

13. Cox Orange macrumors 68000

Share with us what you read.

14. Happybunny macrumors 68000

The 1970’s the decade when the morals of the western world were put on hold, the actions of so many many celebrities all over the western world was despicable.

15. Meister Suspended

Meister

What Polanski did was despicable.
    But it happened decades ago.
    I am surprised there is no statute of limitation that could be applied here.

16. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

He already pled guilty and was sentenced, but fled before serving it. Statute of limitations doesn't apply.

17. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

He gave a 13-year-old girl quaaludes and then had sex with her in Jack Nicholson's house. That's rape by pretty much any definition.

18. CalWizrd Suspended

CalWizrd

It was his "Bill Cosby" moment.

19. FieldingMellish thread starter Suspended