Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ghboard2010

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 7, 2010
Somewhere
Wondering about this for some time, the Show all filename extensions toggle in Finder -> Preferences -> Advanced has never ever worked as I expected. No matter which version of mac osx I have used in which this toggle exists, file extensions are always visible irregardless of this toggle setting. Checked or unchecked does not matter, the file extensions are always visible. I have been able to hide the these extensions by Getting Info on each individual file the selecting Hide Extensions, however with thousands of files accumulated over the years this method gets real old real fast.

So, has anyone else had this experience? Is there a solution to this behavior? Has the Show all filename extensions toggle in Finder -> Preferences -> Advanced worked for anybody?

Comments, suggestions?

tarsins

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2009
Wales
Drive's me insane too. It seems to be random and I've just got used to it.
You don't have to hide each file's extension individually, though. Select a group of files and do Option-Command-I to change all of them at once.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.