“Would you like to delete..”

Discussion in 'iOS 11' started by Goner259er, Mar 31, 2018.

1. Goner259er Suspended

So is this a new thing? Asking me if I’d “like to delete this message” every time I try to delete it? I just want to delete and not have it ask me. Is there a way to change this? It’s never done this before

2. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Are you referring to iMessage?

3. BugeyeSTI macrumors 68030

BugeyeSTI

Only way is to go back to 11.2.6. It is part of iCloud message that was supposed to come out in 11.3 but was pulled at release for whatever reason. I guess they want to make sure you want to delete a conversation because it will remove it from all your devices and is permanent

4. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

5. Sxr71 macrumors newbie

I get so many useless messages from UPS tracking, my management company etc. I don’t want to keep comfirming those deletions. They should allow certain numbers to be deleted without confirmation.

Especially messages from numbers not in your address book.

6. now i see it macrumors 68040

In the past it was pretty easy to accidentally swipe a message and delete it unintentionally. Since iMessage doesn't have a trash (like email or notes or photos), there was no undoing a mistake if a cherished message accidentally got swiped.
    This new warning screen is here now to prevent that. It's better than having an iMessage trash. It gives you a second chance to be sure you really wanted it to be deleted - forever

7. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

I personally value this and am not bothered by it for this reason.

8. MacDawg macrumors Core

MacDawg

Yeah, it is new with 11.3
    I don't know of a way to change the setting for that, and there prolly isn't

9. robjulo macrumors 65816

Thanks. It is truly obnoxious.

10. Banglazed, Mar 31, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2018

Banglazed macrumors demi-god

Banglazed

This is a remnant from the Message in iCloud feature that was tested during the betas. The workaround is "Edit" select messages and delete.

It’s just to safeguard deleting the wrong message or deleting it from iCloud which signaling Messages to iCloud in upcoming release.

11. Mr. Heckles macrumors 6502

Mr. Heckles

I agree! I wonder if it’s part of the iMessage in iCloud or something (coming soon, I hope?)

12. MacDawg macrumors Core

MacDawg

Thanks for the info!
    Can't say that that is any better for me though, both require extra steps
    I was used to swipe / delete and be done with it
    Certainly not the end of the world, it was just a little surprising to see for me

13. chriscrowlee macrumors 65816

chriscrowlee

So they gave us the calories but didn’t let us eat the cupcake. How Apple of them. Typical Apple lately.

14. martin2345uk macrumors 6502a

15. eoblaed macrumors 68020

eoblaed

I wonder how many text threads people are deleting and how frequently that it's become 'truly obnoxious' (as someone said in one of those other threads).

I think I've deleted one text thread ever and I've been using iPhones/iOS since the day they first came out in 2007.

16. GreyOS macrumors 68040

GreyOS

This is something I’ve requested in the Feedback app in the past, sorry OP. Having accidentally deleted a years’ long conversation i find it a welcome addition.

17. Mefisto macrumors 6502a

Mefisto

The thing is, "minor inconvenience" doesn't quite have the same ring to it as "truly obnoxious".

18. Mel8899 macrumors regular

Mel8899

I’m getting use to it and see the point of it. Just was annoying at first.

19. TheSkywalker77 macrumors 6502a

TheSkywalker77

It's a feature of iMessage in the cloud. Bit annoying if you delete messages a lot.

20. itsmilo macrumors 68020

itsmilo

they could just add a long swipe like on mail. iOS is becoming so inconsistent between their own apps ...

21. Mefisto macrumors 6502a

Mefisto

Since there's no trash folder for messages (like there is for mail), I'm going to assume they're doing their darnedest to make sure people don't accidentally delete important messages as they're not retrievable if that happens with iCloud Messages activated. That I know of, at least.

Makes sense in my opinion. If a long swipe would be implemented, without providing a way to salvage deleted messages, you bet there will be people disagreeing over how long the long swipe actually should be.

22. friednoodles Suspended

I'm guessing this only annoys those who obsessively "housekeep" their phone, the same people killing every app on the task switcher so it's "clean", etc.

*readies flame retardant suit*

23. GreyOS macrumors 68040

GreyOS

Wish you could mark as read with a swipe too