Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

supak111

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2008
Hey guys, this is really been annoying me for a long time now. Anytime I quit the OS X calculator, tape gets deleted. I know that this should not happen. On my other 2 Macs (all on latest OS X), if I quit the calculator app and reopen it the paper tape history is still there. There are no preferences in the calculator app.

I know I can save the paper tape but I just want it to be automatic. Whats the issue here?

supak111

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2008
On my other 2 13" MacBooks it is. Thats what I found weird. All 3 are on the latest OS X

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
The persistence of the Paper Tape window's contents depends on a system-wide setting.

The setting is controlled by:
System Preferences > General > checkbox: Close windows when quitting an app

When the checkbox is on, Calculator (and many other apps) will automatically preserve the location, visibility, and contents of windows between launches.

When the checkbox is off, apps will typically discard (or lose) either location, visibility, or contents of windows when the app is quit.

Look at the state of this checkbox on each computer, and see what it says.

This may be coupled to another checkbox: Ask to keep changes when closing documents

Whatever the checkbox's state is, you can "reverse" it for a given app by holding down the Option key when choosing Quit from the app's menu. The menu item changes from Quit APP_NAME_HERE to one of:
Quit APP_NAME_HERE and Close All Windows
Quit APP_NAME_HERE and Keep Windows

For example, if your checkbox is normally checked, you can preserve the Paper Tape in Calculator by quitting with cmd-option-Q instead of cmd-Q.

supak111

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2008
OMG thats it! Thank you so much. This has been driving me nuts. And holding down the option key is a neat trick thanks for that as well bud.

macinjosh9895

macrumors member
May 12, 2019
Nevada
I'm so glad to have found this thread! Losing my calculator tape was driving me nuts too on my new Mac because of that check box. Thank you!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.