 TV Remote clarification

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by preyan, Sep 12, 2015.

1. preyan macrumors 6502

preyan

So if I recall, the new remote will only shop to the U.S. and a few other handful of countries, right?
    If so, what will the other countries get in place of the new remote?
    Thanks.

2. amack macrumors member

Same remote just no Siri, the other countries are UK, Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Japan and Spain. All other countries will have an on screen search function instead of Siri. So I assume a 'Search' button instead of 'Siri'.

3. preyan thread starter macrumors 6502

preyan

4. 2010mini macrumors 68040

I wonder how Apple is going to handle this when those countries do get Siri? Will they just be given a new remote?

5. bhayes444 macrumors 6502a

Probably will be given the option to buy a new remote.

6. mic j macrumors 68030

I would imagine Siri has nothing to do with the remote itself but is a function of the aTV unit and be taken care of through a software update. I think the remote just hold the speaker which communicates with the unit through bluetooth.

7. melapple macrumors regular

judging by this Apple page for developers it looks like the remote will be one regardless of the country it will be sold in. The only thing changing will be what the button does. Siri for the first wave countries and Search screen for all others.

https://developer.apple.com/library....html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40015241-CH12-SW6

8. waw74 macrumors 68030

Yes, Just like everyone was given a new iPhones when Siri rolled out on that in the different countries.

9. 2010mini macrumors 68040

Love the snarky sarcasm. Do you practice it or does it just come natural?

10. Truckondo macrumors member

Hopefully you can just enter a code or have it work a device without CEC. CEC gives me issues when operating my Denon Receiver with my Harmony Remote.