TV 2 wifi or Ethernet to AirPort Bridge?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Mac 128, Mar 6, 2016.

1. Mac 128 macrumors 601

Mac 128

I've got an TV 2nd generation that is currently set up to connect via wifi to my 2015 AirPort Extreme. Next to my TV I have an AirPort TimeCapsule which is connected via wifi bridge mode to extend my APE range.

So the question is, is it better to have my TV connect directly to my APE via wifi, or will it be more efficient to connect the TV to the APTC via Ethernet and rely on the TimeCapsule to serve all remote wireless needs?

I feel like the TV will get priority with its own connection, but I also wonder if its proximity to the APTC won't cause some interference. Also, I wonder if the TV isn't already connecting to the APE network via wifi and the APTC. In which case, Ethernet would only improve that connection.

Just not sure how to objectively check this connection for the best performance.

2. LiveM macrumors 6502a

LiveM

You're reducing your entire network's performance by connecting your Time Capsule wirelessly as an extender.

How old is your Time Capsule?

If you can't wire it to your base station, either directly via ethernet or a powerline eithernet adaptor, you can connect it wirelessly in client mode which will make its ethernet port available without hobbling your network's performance. But this would mean it cannot operate as a WiFi hotspot.

3. Mac 128 thread starter macrumors 601

Mac 128

It's old. 802.11n 1st Gen according to the AP Utility. But I thought the APE had discreet bands that didn't affect the entire network when slower connections were made by older equipment? Running Speed Test apps show that I'm getting more or less the speeds my cable company says I'm supposed to be getting.

Regardless, I don't really have a choice but to use it as a hot spot, as I can't cable to it, it's on a different power circuit, and the APE range doesn't reach. So the connection is either slow and unreliable because of the distance, or reliable and less slow with the hotspot. Of course I can upgrade it, just would prefer not to.

In the meantime, I'm running the APE as 2.4Ghz and discoverable 5Ghz. All wireless devices connect to the main 2.4GHz Network, but I just switched my TV to the 5Ghz network by itself. That seems to have improved my connection somewhat. From what you say, connecting it to the APTC would pull the TV down even slower, more than any potential interference from one to the other.

Guess that's going to be the best I can do until I upgrade.

4. LiveM macrumors 6502a

LiveM

Well, just having the Time Capsule in extender mode is reducing your entire network's throughput by up to half, and it's also forcing your Extreme to run only in n mode.

But if the actual performance is working for you, whatever configuration works has got to be considered acceptable.

5. Mac 128 thread starter macrumors 601

Mac 128

Well like I said, I don't have much choice. But are you suggesting upgrading to the latest APTC as an will not improve the network throughput? Only a physical connection will improve the situation?

6. LiveM macrumors 6502a

LiveM

Yeah, it won't make much difference to throughout level, because it's based on overhead, but it would allow your base station to provide ac Wi-Fi. And that means better range as well as speed.

Your base station is able to offer better n performance to n devices as well as ac devices, and the same feature will be true of a new TC.

You don't need another Time Capsule unless you sell what you have. It can run in client mode and not as a hotspot so you can use the drive, which means you only need an Extreme to replace it as an extender.

7. Mac 128 thread starter macrumors 601

Mac 128

Ah, good advice. Thanks.