Watch 4 battery life much worse than Watch 3

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Mike Boreham, Jan 28, 2019.

1. Mike Boreham macrumors 65816

I had a watch series 3 LTE (LTE not activated) and recently switched to a Watch series 4 GPS.

The Series 3 would do between 2 and 3 days regularly. I once monitored it carefully and it went from 100% to 8% in 70 hrs, just short of 3 days, ie an average of about 1.3% per hr.

My Series 4 drops from 100% to 50% in 24 hrs, ie average about 2% per hr.

I know these are well in excess of the spec number of 18 hours, but I was not expecting the Series 4 to be so much worse than the Series 3.

I have crawled through settings looking for something on my S4 which could explain this.

At first there was the 'new device' factor where I was setting it up and exploring faces etc, but I am past that stage.

Any comment or advice?

Thanks
    --- Post Merged, Jan 28, 2019 ---
    Just found this article and thread which seems to explain things.

BUT currently my Usage/Battery is showing:
    Usage: 7 hrs 48 mins
    Standby: 9 hrs 46 mins

This doesn't look right....what could be "using" battery 80% of the time?

2. rgyiv macrumors member

rgyiv

I pulled my watch off the charger this morning, and I'm at 6 hours 38 minutes standby with 1 hour 14 minutes of usage....so yeah, that usage number probably explains it, but unfortunately is doesn't really pinpoint the cause...hmmmm

3. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

I have found my AW4 battery to be about the same as my AW3 was.

Mine came off the charger at 4am and at 3:08 it says the battery is at 80%

4. Mike Boreham thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks! Yeah I think the high usage number is the key...but I don't have any apps I didn't have on my 3 and as far as I can tell the settings are the same.:(

5. rgyiv macrumors member

rgyiv

And I'm assuming your lifestyle didn't change with the new watch? Working out more, checking your heart rate more, etc...

6. Mike Boreham thread starter macrumors 65816

Correct. For the first day I was experimenting with watch faces and complications etc, and using it more, but after that usage was the same as with the 3.

Since posting earlier I have unpaired and re-paired and restored from the last backup of the S3. Fingers crossed.

7. sharpimage macrumors member

sharpimage

I thought it was well documented in these forums that S4 has less battery life than S3

8. perezr10 macrumors 6502a

For me the Series 4 and 3 are close to the same. Although, I suspect a fresh Series 3 with a new battery would outlast my Series 4.

9. Mike Boreham thread starter macrumors 65816

Yes, as I discovered after initial post and mentioned in the addition to post #1. But it is not quite a simple as 'S4 has less life'. From other threads here and elsewhere the experiences seem very mixed, with many reporting some improvement or the same, and many reporting drastic reduction. One thread even suggested there might be two hardware variations.

Based on this thread, where two people reported unpairing/repairing fixed it, I unpaired/and repaired last evening. So far the initial signs are very promising. Only 3% reduction in 8 hours, and usage 36 mins out of 7h 55m standby.

10. rdavis41 macrumors regular

rdavis41

I would agree that Series 4 does not get the same battery life as the Series 3. I routinely have to recharge my battery after my workouts (2-3x daily if planning to use overnight for sleep tracking). Which is beginning to make me question whether Apple Watch is the watch I should be using versus a better Sport Watch and battery of a Garmin watch.

Again though, battery life on the watch depends on utilization of notifications, gps, and optical heart rate monitor on the watch.

11. Mikeeee macrumors 6502

Mikeeee

I'm having the exact same problems. I've tried everything. Hard reboots, re-pair as new, no apps installed, Background App Refresh turned off, running in Theatre Mode, but my Series 4 is eating up usage time even under all those conditions. For example right now I'm at 60% with 19 hours, 15 minutes Standby and 7 hours, 37 minutes Usage. This is way out of whack. Should be 1-2 hours usage max. Not sure it's battery issue though. Perhaps something related to one of the sensors that isn't shutting down properly. I setup a Genius Bar Appt for tomorrow.

12. PaladinGuy macrumors 6502

I’d be much more likely to lean that direction, if Garmin’s were able to do quick replies to iMessages. I know it’s not Garmin’s fault, but it’s basically a deal breaker for me to not be able to act on any notifications. If I were to start doing more long distance, outdoor running, I might just deal with it.

I also just really like the versatility of the Apple Watch. I have the steel one and it goes really well with business attire with leather strap or the link band.

13. menace3 macrumors 6502a

menace3

I dont know how new your watch is, but have you rebooted it lately. I find when my battery is lacking, there's an app stuck still trying to install. I've been awake since 6AM, went for a run, and now 6 horus later I'm at 89% on my AW4.

14. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

Interesting.....

switched to AW4 LTE 4 days ago , battery seemed great so far , on par with 3 , however last night it dropped from 85 going to bed to 0 in 8 hours of sleep.....seems to be back to normal now.

not sure what it was that caused it....could be something not shutting down.

it looks like a high load on the watch , since my sleep was tracked most of the night , it was just loosing 10% per hour or so.

15. Mike Boreham, Jan 31, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2019

Mike Boreham thread starter macrumors 65816

Longer use since then and the AW4 has settled down around 1.6% per hour. Pretty good but not as good as the AW3.

I am relieved that since the re-pairing my usage stats are more sensible: currently 2 hrs usage and 15 hrs standby. Battery currently showing 76%.

16. rgyiv macrumors member

rgyiv

Glad it's leveled back out!!

17. Mike Boreham thread starter macrumors 65816

Unfortunately yesterday it reverted to high consumption mode. I checked usage/standby and saw that usage was about 85% of standby. I rebooted the watch and it reverted to low consumption mode with usage about 10% of standby for several hours.

There was no change in my activity or usage which would explain this.

Seems like a rogue process, but what? I only have two third party apps on the watch, Dark Sky and Smart3D (which enables me to control my MFI hearing aids from my watch). I guess next stop is deleting these from my watch as a diagnostic.

18. OBirder macrumors 6502

I use approx. 2% per hour (without workout) and this was approx. the same on the AW3 (maybe 1.8% or 1.9%) I think the 1.3% on your AW3 was unusual low and that's what you are comparing now.

But I use as well increased amount of features. Cellular + GPS (I had that before), Walkie Talkie on the weekends. 2 workouts of approx. 45 minutes 5 times a week. Fall Detection ... Infograph watch face with 8 complications ... An approx. 33% increase in display with increased brightness ...
    I have more Apps in the Dock than I had before (Dock Apps typically update in the background - more usage).

I easily make it through the day and could make it through a second. I typically charge every night (watch in nightstand mode) and so I rather use the features available and it's meeting my expectations.

19. Mike Boreham thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks. I agree my 1.3% on the AW3 watch is unusually low, but the key thing you mention is that you are getting only slightly less battery life from your AW3 than your AW4. I am getting a lot less.

Unfortunately because my AW3 battery life was so good I didn't look at the usage/standby ratio, as I have been on the AW4. I am convinced a process is behaving differently on the AW4 from the AW3, using up battery. I am currently at 38% since last full charge, ie 3.2%/hr, and usage/standby is 18h 26m/19h 58m.

How close are your usage/standby?

20. Knight3 macrumors regular

Would you mind listing the apps you installed besides the default ones?
    I had a similar issue and deleting the Spotify and Audible apps brought it back to normal. It's probably what's going on with yours even when your usage hasn't changed.

21. Mikeeee macrumors 6502

Mikeeee

I have the same problem as Mike with 0 apps installed and using the watch in Theater Mode. Have you been watching your usage vs standby time? What have you been experiencing?

22. Mike Boreham thread starter macrumors 65816

They're mentioned in the second paragraph of my reply you quoted ;)! Dark Sky and Smart3D (which enables me to control my MFI hearing aids from my watch).

However I have a hunch the problem might be Autosleep. It is not installed on my watch but it is on my phone. The default setting is to monitor heart beat 24 hrs a day, and my health data shows it has been doing this. This is like doing a continuous workout. However it can't be as simple as this as this because my AW3 had it installed with the same setting. So maybe there is a difference between how AW3 and AW4 respond to the heart data requests from Austosleep. The setting can be adjusted to only monitor say 11pm to 7am when you are likely to be asleep. But for now I have deleted it as a diagnostic. As I say this is only a hunch at this point.

23. OBirder macrumors 6502

There must be something else going on. I am at 79%, usage/standby: 1h 24m/11h 45m (no workout today).

24. Mikeeee macrumors 6502

Mikeeee

I have auto sleep on my phone but not my watch as well. Not sure if that's the problem as the watch can be working great for 10 hours and then all of a sudden have very high usage numbers after that. I'm currently testing Workout Power Saving Mode set to ON. See if that makes a difference.

25. danny842003 macrumors 6502a

danny842003

My series 4 is worse than my series 2 ever was.
    It’s not so much of an issue as I think the habit of charging it every night will ensure it doesn’t run out. If I was doing it every 3 days I would probably forget and have a dead weight on my arm.
    Still this weekend I was busy moving and couldn’t find/forgot to charge. It was pretty disappointing if not unexpected that it couldn’t do the second day.