Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KohPhiPhi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 9, 2011
Is anybody else hitting the Touch Bar ESC button by mistake while typing with your left hand's pinky finger?

The problem is this: since the button has no physical weight, the sightliest caress with your pinky finger triggers the ESC button, and therefore exiting whatever input form you might be filling in at that moment. As a result, I have had to type the whole thing again quite a few times already. It is driving me nuts!

Is anyone else hitting the ESC button by mistake?

Full_Size_Render.jpg

09mac

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2016
Is anybody else hitting the Touch Bar ESC button by mistake while typing with your left hand's pinky finger?

The problem is this: since the button has no physical weight, the sightliest caress with your pinky finger triggers the ESC button, and therefore exiting whatever input form you might be filling in at that moment. As a result, I have had to type the whole thing again quite a few times already. It is driving me nuts!

Is anyone else hitting the ESC button by mistake?

Full_Size_Render.jpg

Geez...

Rian Gray

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2011
NJ, United States
I suppose easiest way to "fix" this problem is to change your habit. I usually rest my left hand on asdfg lines, not qwerty lines as you had taken the picture.

Meanwhile, is it possible to move the esc key to the center, or the right end corner, so that you won't be accidentally hitting it? That would be a good place to start.

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
I suppose easiest way to "fix" this problem is to change your habit. I usually rest my left hand on asdfg lines, not qwerty lines as you had taken the picture.

Meanwhile, is it possible to move the esc key to the center, or the right end corner, so that you won't be accidentally hitting it? That would be a good place to start.
yep

KlytusLord

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2011
I have the same problem. I have been looking online for a way to turn off the touch bar altogether, as it has done absolutely nothing beneficial for me personally and has added a number of annoyances.

I had set the bar to be the extended control strip (again, I have found the app controls to be useless for me) and that in turn was making me touch the screen brightness as well, just like with the ESC "key."

I am hoping we have some as-yet-undiscovered terminal command to disable the thing completely.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
No. That's just weird. Maybe you have big hands but it doesn't look like you have big hands. Judging from the angle of your hands it looks like you don't really know how to touch type tbqh...

benz240

macrumors regular
Dec 25, 2008
I've done it several times. I like to keep my left hand in position to do cmd+W/cmd+R/cmd+T while browsing in Safari, and many times I will accidentally hit the esc softkey on the touchbar, causing Safari to exit from fullscreen mode. Very annoying. Will be returning the 15" TB for a 13" non-TB.

KohPhiPhi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 9, 2011
I've done it several times. I like to keep my left hand in position to do cmd+W/cmd+R/cmd+T while browsing in Safari, and many times I will accidentally hit the esc softkey on the touchbar, causing Safari to exit from fullscreen mode. Very annoying. Will be returning the 15" TB for a 13" non-TB.

This is EXACTLY when it happens the most to me: when I play with keyboard shortcuts (which I do often in different applications). Very annoying indeed.

R3k

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2011
Sep 7, 2011
No. That's just weird. Maybe you have big hands but it doesn't look like you have big hands. Judging from the angle of your hands it looks like you don't really know how to touch type tbqh...

Soo, you have to know how to touch type to use this laptop without annoyances?

LS417

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2009
Happens all the time, but I'm more annoyed with the "send email" button in Mail, I keep hitting it mid message

Reactions: R3k

Bryan Bowler

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2008
I just got my new MBP last night and I tried and tried to accidentally tap the Esc key and I could not even come close to inadvertently touching it. I'm not denying that someone is not having that problem, but for the majority if users I cannot see how this could possibly be a problem. Sorry to hear you're having issues though -- perhaps you'll get used to it over time or Apple will come out with even more customizable options sometime down the road.

BTW, I don't have much time on it yet, but I absolutely love the new keyboard! The short travel feels wonderful and I am typing faster.

Reactions: rawweb and HenryDJP

New_Mac_Smell

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2016
Shanghai
Soo, you have to know how to touch type to use this laptop without annoyances?

Well if you weren't touch typing, you'd be looking at the keyboard. Where it would be pretty easy to spot what keys you're hitting. Soo your point?

If you type with your pinky hovered over the esc button of course you are going to have issues with accidentally hitting the esc button. Was it really that hard to understand? The tips of your fingers should be on the home row in theory.

What's the home row? I've just tried to type with my pinky hovering over the esc key and it's really hard!

Seriously how are people typing? I've heard all sorts of bizarre ways and positions of resting your fingers over the top bar and stuff. Do people not know what the bumps on 'F' and 'J' are for?

KohPhiPhi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 9, 2011
It happens often when I CTRL+C and CTRL+V (copy and paste), specially when I do it quickly.

Mind how, as I place my thumb+index over the CTRL+C keys, my pinky reaches out to the ESC area. When you pull that finger motion rapidly, I've hit the ESC button by accident a bunch of times.

Go ahead, run that test on your keyboard yourself.

image.jpg

New_Mac_Smell

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2016
Shanghai
I tested! I think you've just got a posh pinky, does it stick out when you drink tea too? :D. Also does that angle not really hurt your wrist? Your wrist should rest under the FN-CTRL-Option-Command keys, it looks like yours is at a right angle to the computer! Not saying you're wrong by any means, just find it a bizarre way to type/problem to have.

IMG_6951.jpg

Never really thought about it as it's never been a problem. But I use my left pinky pretty much solely for the left shift key, so it naturally hovers around that area. Only time it's getting anywhere near close is on 4 and 5. But still, it's nicely tucked away when not in use.

I can't believe I took the time to take this photo and write this post :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.