Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 17, 2008
I have a request to make macrumors front page with headlines only or headlines with first few lines of the article without images. Currently each article "box" is so huge it takes all of my browser screen. At least, this could be an option for paid members

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
It wouldn't be that hard for us to shorten amount shown in "show more" as an option, though I think it looks a little weird like that.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
this is how it would look

Screen Shot 2020-11-05 at 2.59.08 PM.png

MacBH928

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 17, 2008
thats better but more like this, there is a lot of white space filling around the SHOW FULL ARTICLE button, could be just text link between the comments numbers and the social sharing buttons. There is a full bar just for date and time.

Attachments

• 34dsf.png
    34dsf.png
    377.5 KB · Views: 258

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
thats better but more like this
If that could be setup as an option, I sure don't mind, but I would not want that to be the default with no option to change it.

Maybe you would be better served by just using an RSS app? Here is a shot of how things look in ReadKit app.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-11-06 at 7.37.16 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-11-06 at 7.37.16 AM.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 280
Reactions: sman789

MacBH928

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 17, 2008
If that could be setup as an option, I sure don't mind, but I would not want that to be the default with no option to change it.

Maybe you would be better served by just using an RSS app? Here is a shot of how things look in ReadKit app.

I recommend using News Explorer. It is an excellent RSS app and it will display like you want, OP.

Doesn't have to be the default, just an option specially for paid users its an extra perk. I know about RSS readers but I don't want to launch a dedicated RSS reader app just to read Macrumors. I rather have it as a website from where I can also visit other sections of the site including the forums. If there is like a website that offers rss feed look maybe that could be better, like rss.macrumors.com.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Doesn't have to be the default, just an option specially for paid users its an extra perk. I know about RSS readers but I don't want to launch a dedicated RSS reader app just to read Macrumors. I rather have it as a website from where I can also visit other sections of the site including the forums. If there is like a website that offers rss feed look maybe that could be better, like rss.macrumors.com.
I am not aware of any website offering that ability.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
If there is like a website that offers rss feed look maybe that could be better, like rss.macrumors.com.

You could do this with RSS feeds and a free Feedly account. See my screenshot of the same RSS feeds as my other screenshot using the RSS app.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-11-07 at 9.35.56 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-11-07 at 9.35.56 AM.png
    2 MB · Views: 236

MacBH928

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 17, 2008
I am not aware of any website offering that ability.
I remember there was a time maybe mid late 2000s there was a dedicated RSS version of news sites
You could do this with RSS feeds and a free Feedly account. See my screenshot of the same RSS feeds as my other screenshot using the RSS app.
This could work
We have this: http://feeds.macrumors.com/MacRumors-All

But it probably shows too much. a truncated version would be easy, though

arn

Yes something like this without the mammoth images and few lines of each article would be great or without, it could work.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 17, 2008
I found a look I like with InoReader, although I wish for the feed to be in the center of the screen as it is to my left now. I suggest to add a similar look to macrumors at least for paid users. @arn

Attachments

• gdfg.png
    gdfg.png
    358.2 KB · Views: 124

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
I found a look I like with InoReader, although I wish for the feed to be in the center of the screen as it is to my left now. I suggest to add a similar look to macrumors at least for paid users. @arn
I’m not sure I follow.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
I’m not sure I follow.
OP's screenshots is cropped; this is how the reader they like looks:

Screen Shot 2021-07-27 at 8.13.01 AM.png

I'm guessing they don't want the section on the right that shows selected articles. They want the RSS view to take up the whole page.

Runs For Fun

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2017

View attachment 1811414

I'm guessing they don't want the section on the right that shows selected articles. They want the RSS view to take up the whole page.
Wouldn't that be an issue with InoReader? I don't think a website can do anything about that. I'm not familiar with InoReader, but there must be an option to hide that pane? I know you can with Reeder5.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
Wouldn't that be an issue with InoReader? I don't think a website can do anything about that. I'm not familiar with InoReader, but there must be an option to hide that pane? I know you can with Reeder5.
Yeah, OP's saying that they wouldn't want the left/right split on a MR version of this RSS view—not InoReader itself.

Reactions: Runs For Fun

MacBH928

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 17, 2008
I’m not sure I follow.

View attachment 1811414

Yeah, OP's saying that they wouldn't want the left/right split on a MR version of this RSS view—not InoReader itself.

Apologies for the confusion. This thread originally started as I was looking for an RSS look option for the homepage of MacRumors which currently displays each article to take the full page with humongous images and could be a nice feature for paid users. I am adding that the InoReader look is the kind that I want except for the articles to be in the center of the page not to the side.

Personally, I love to use RSS with miniflux, it's super easy to use, and has a nice clean look.

https://miniflux.app

View attachment 1811596

this is a nice look too but I would like to see a small thumbnail too. I also hate the clutter below Star, External Link, Unread. I must look to see how to install this but I always prefer not to use 3rd party apps, the less software the less clutter.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.