Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Original poster
Apr 16, 2020
For this first time, I'm seeing this message in the Software Update preferences on my Mac (M1 mini Big Sur 11.5.1) for the available 11.5.2 update. There's an option to restore default update settings? I'm quite sure I didn't change anything related to this. I researched a bit but couldn't find a good answer.

What does it mean and are there any advantages or disadvantages of letting it stand or restoring the default method?

Screen Shot 2021-08-11 at 3.52.19 PM.png

• Wow
Reactions: twanj

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Sounds like an MDM profile might have been pushed. Company asset?

Cancelled
Original poster
Apr 16, 2020
Sounds like an MDM profile might have been pushed. Company asset?
No, it's my personal machine. The only new software installed in the last six weeks is the Surfshark VPN -- could that be related?

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Shouldn't. Only other thing that I can think of is if you ever had a beta on there. Maybe some leftovers causing hiccups.

At this point, I'd probably just go with "Restore Defaults". Get to a clean(ish) setup.

Cancelled
Original poster
Apr 16, 2020
Shouldn't. Only other thing that I can think of is if you ever had a beta on there. Maybe some leftovers causing hiccups.

At this point, I'd probably just go with "Restore Defaults". Get to a clean(ish) setup.
No betas on this machine. I reopened SW Update and that message is gone. How odd. I'm going to dig around for more info.

Cancelled
Original poster
Apr 16, 2020
I did find a bit more info about apparently that message is related to the Big Sur betas, but I haven't even been to the beta page and never enrolled, installed or anything related to it. Seems odd but maybe it was something temporary when the 15.2 was released.

Thanks @NoBoMac for jumping in. Your input is always appreciated.

Reactions: NoBoMac

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
The issue is not OS specific. swscan.apple.com is the server address for Apple's update server. It looks like the settings for updates has got changed on the OP's computer and as such it is asking the OP do they want to restore the update settings back to default.

All it is are settings that help updating the computer be as smooth and as less human interaction as possible. Maybe updates was turned off or the time of day updates are checked was changed, things like that.

frou

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2009
I've had the same several times earlier this year and had to click Restore Defaults and additionally manually reboot to get that to go away.

Have also had Software Update offering to install beta versions of the Xcode Command Line Tools.

I've never opted into any beta program from Apple, so evidently they are getting sloppy in terms of different update channels being fenced off from each other.

Last edited:

tedd4u

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2021
Weird, just saw this for the first time. I've been intending to update to 11.5.2 but I'm still on 11.5.1. I needed to reboot so was finally going to hit "go" on the upgrade. I still saw the red (1) badge on Software Update but when I go into the panel it says "Your Mac is up to date -- macOS Big Sur 11.5.1. Last checked: Today at 3:57 pm" and I see this new badge on the left under the gears "Updates for this Mac are manager by 'swscan.apple.com' Details …"

It's concerning. Not a work machine, no MDM profiles or entitlements. I do have XProtect enabled ("Install system data files and security updates").

tedd4u

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2021
Weird, just saw this for the first time. I've been intending to update to 11.5.2 but I'm still on 11.5.1. I needed to reboot so was finally going to hit "go" on the upgrade. I still saw the red (1) badge on Software Update but when I go into the panel it says "Your Mac is up to date -- macOS Big Sur 11.5.1. Last checked: Today at 3:57 pm" and I see this new badge on the left under the gears "Updates for this Mac are manager by 'swscan.apple.com' Details …"

It's concerning. Not a work machine, no MDM profiles or entitlements. I do have XProtect enabled ("Install system data files and security updates").

Totally bizarre. I hit ⌘R in the Software Update window and now it knows about 11.5.2 again and the "swscan.apple.com" text disappeared. Hope someone figures out what's going on here. Doesn't breed confidence.

tedd4u

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2021
Totally bizarre. I hit ⌘R in the Software Update window and now it knows about 11.5.2 again and the "swscan.apple.com" text disappeared. Hope someone figures out what's going on here. Doesn't breed confidence.
I went ahead with the update which apparently had been partially downloaded and got these two messages

Failed to personalize the software update. Please try again.
An error occurred while downloading the selected updates. Please check your internet connection and try again.

AndrewWx

Contributor
Feb 10, 2005
Ventura CA
I was wondering why the latest beta was not showing up on my M1 Mini - then I noticed the swscan. Reset did nothing but reinstalling the Beta Key did.

AndrewWx

Contributor
Feb 10, 2005
Ventura CA
Well that did not work - the beta looked and looked for an update but was just stuck.

I found a teddy thread where someone claimed to have a magical terminal trick that you did in recovery mode. That had some effect but again the system updater was stuck in a loop and would endlessly look for an update.

The only thing that worked was to reinstall the system software from recovery mode - one positive the recovery mode updater recognized that I was on the Beta and updated to the latest Beta saving me the hassle of updating and then reinstalling the Beta.

Jimmy Bubbles

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
Nashville, TN
For this first time, I'm seeing this message in the Software Update preferences on my Mac (M1 mini Big Sur 11.5.1) for the available 11.5.2 update. There's an option to restore default update settings? I'm quite sure I didn't change anything related to this. I researched a bit but couldn't find a good answer.

What does it mean and are there any advantages or disadvantages of letting it stand or restoring the default method?

View attachment 1817476
This has reared its head again in Monterey as well:
1635197116555.png

posguy99

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2004
My iMac has this and it's great. Since it thinks updates are managed, it never prompts me to install Big Sur (and now Monterey). After all, it's not actually talking to a management system.

I wish I knew where the software switch was so I could do the same thing to my laptop.

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
Just to confirm, what are the results for
Code:
sudo /usr/bin/profiles -P
and
Code:
sudo /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Seeding.framework/Versions/A/Resources/seedutil current
?

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
Founds this on Apples disccusion forum from 2014

Where it is ticked as solved by OP, the person who gave the advice said it was being caused by a trojan virus called iWorm. Is that really what is going on in this thread with peoples machines!!??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.