'08 15-inch MBP to '10 or '11 13 inch an downgrade or upgrade?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MrXiro, May 27, 2011.

1. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

I'm just wondering if it's worth my time to get rid of my '08 15 inch MBP (2.53ghz, 9600GT 512mb) for a smaller 13 inch MBP... either a used 2010 (2.4ghz, 320m) or the low end SnB 2011.

At this point I might end up making 1000 for my 15 inch and I found the 2010 13 inch for $850 and the 2011 for $1080.

In terms of usage it won't be used for gaming... more movie watching, internet surfing and writing.

The pluses on the newer systems is battery life and speed (only in the 2011?) is it worth doing this swap or should I just hang on to my aging MBP?

2. Tabudrummer macrumors newbie

I would say its certainly worth it. If you are no gonna be gaming, either one would be good. If going for the 2010, you wouldn't notice much (if any) decrease in performance. If you go for the 2011 (which I have and love) you will see a big increase in performance. I have the base 2011 13 inch and it outperforms my quad core desktop from only 2 years ago, by a large margin.

3. Panch0 macrumors 6502a

I would have said that battery life and portability were the advantages. If you are mostly tethered to a desk, it doesn't really seem like much of a change. Your listed uses aren't CPU heavy (or even GPU heavy), so I don't think you are going to see much difference in performance. There is also a downgrade in screen resolution from the 15" to the 13".

4. MrXiro thread starter macrumors 68040

MrXiro

Thanks Tabudrummer,

Panch0 - So do you think it's a good idea or a bad idea? Would you do the swap out?

5. Panch0 macrumors 6502a

I think it depends on how you prioritize the differences between the two.
    For your uses, I think that performance will be equivalent.
    The 15" has higher screen resolution.
    The 13" is more portable and has a better battery.
    The 2011 13" would have Thunderbolt, which I think will be important in the future, but isn't right now.

I have a late 2008 15", and I'm not going to be replacing it this year. I've had my eye on the MBA, but I will probably wait for the Ivy Bridge refresh in a year or so. I would like something more portable, but it looks like IB is going to be a big leap in Performance/Watt.

6. MrXiro thread starter macrumors 68040

MrXiro

Ah ok cool... thanks for your thoughts! I picked up the low end current MBA for 800 bucks as an open item sale. I'm loving it. My primary computer is a iMac so it works out.

The MBP is actually going to go to my wife because she wants to have a DVD drive and a large screen. I don't think she understands the concept of screen resolution though that was why I was thinking about selling the '08 and getting something more recent for her... not that she needs it... but I feel like if I want to sell the '08 it's either sell it now or keep it for life.

7. Internal Fury macrumors 6502

8. MrXiro thread starter macrumors 68040

MrXiro

No gaming... I think I will do this!