Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

clubmedia

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 12, 2002
delaware
this is what spymac has posted.

Jaguar may have all the speed and features, but those interested in Mac OS 10.1.5 need look no further than the local Apple store.

"All of the new display iBooks have 10.1.5 installed," reports one Apple retail employee via telephone.

"We've had more than a few Apple fans get pretty excited after discovering this."

The new 600MHz and 700MHz iBooks are still shipping to consumers with Mac OS X 10.1.4.

Apple has declared the minor update the last refresh before the introduction of the next major Mac OS X revision, codenamed Jaguar. Recent internal builds of 10.1.5 are reportedly "ready for primetime."

Notable changes in 10.1.5 include faster iDisk access and Quartz anti-aliasing in Carbon applications.

awesome!!!!

mac15

macrumors 68040
Dec 29, 2001
well if you a hotline junkie like me
you will find heap of copies out there.....iDisk is very fast and there isn't much anti-aliased text for carbon apps...and I have had 10.1.5 for atleast 3 weeks...but the app might have to be updated for it to work
I don't know

BeerDrinker29

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2002
of course, the headline is "Beta" is in the stores, although if you believe Railhead, the betas are pretty much complete and it's evil Microsoft that is holding it back.
I noticed that 10.1.5 was installed on the iBooks in my local Apple store, too, but for some reason I completely didn't take notice..

BeerDrinker29

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2002
Originally posted by mac15
well if you a hotline junkie like me
you will find heap of copies out there.....iDisk is very fast and there isn't much anti-aliased text for carbon apps...and I have had 10.1.5 for atleast 3 weeks...but the app might have to be updated for it to work
I don't know

Yes, I believe they have to be updated.. Isnt that why MS is holding back the release? Because they need to update IE to take advantage of the aliasing

Backtothemac

macrumors 601
Jan 3, 2002
San Destin Florida
I would find it difficult to believe this. Here is the reason. Having worked for Apple, I can tell you that the NDA is very tight, and they do enforce it. Now if X.1.5 is on one of those machines, then that is because someone there put it there. They don't ship machines to the stores with Beta's on them to show customers, else, they would have X.2 right?

Sorry, but this isn't going to fly with Apple. If it is on an iBook at an Apple store, unless it belongs to a developer that works there, and he just happen to have his iBook with him. Then guess what. Say goodbye to that employee, and the management in that store.

BeerDrinker29

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2002
No, it's actually pretty common. The Apple Stores usually are always running an internal build that is not available to the public. Apple wants to show consumers the best it has..

I remember that the Apple store had machines running other X updates weeks before the public. And I just read through another iBook thread, and someone else spotted 10.1.5 at his Apple store, too..

Backtothemac

macrumors 601
Jan 3, 2002
San Destin Florida
Originally posted by BeerDrinker29
No, it's actually pretty common. The Apple Stores usually are always running an internal build that is not available to the public. Apple wants to show consumers the best it has..

I remember that the Apple store had machines running other X updates weeks before the public. And I just read through another iBook thread, and someone else spotted 10.1.5 at his Apple store, too..

Don't let Steve find out. I can tell you that builds of future releases are not the best that is out there. They are Betas. "Sir here is the new iMac, oh, I am sorry, that is called a Kernal Panic." Not a good idea. They may have it, believe me I am not calling you a liar, but that is just not smart to show Beta, or Alpha software to customers. The best that they have right now to show to customers is 10.1.4

BeerDrinker29

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2002
Yes, I understand your point, and I agree.
The conclusion I'm coming to then is:
I have no doubt they have 10.1.5 installed: I saw it with my own eyes (though didn't realize it at the time :))
But, obviously they wouldnt put unstable software for the public to use.. which means that 10.1.5 must be pretty much finished, but is just being held back for other reasons (MS?)

Just because it's not publicly available does not mean it is not complete/stable

Backtothemac

macrumors 601
Jan 3, 2002
San Destin Florida
Originally posted by BeerDrinker29
Yes, I understand your point, and I agree.
The conclusion I'm coming to then is:
I have no doubt they have 10.1.5 installed: I saw it with my own eyes (though didn't realize it at the time :))
But, obviously they wouldnt put unstable software for the public to use.. which means that 10.1.5 must be pretty much finished, but is just being held back for other reasons (MS?)

Just because it's not publicly available does not mean it is not complete/stable

Wait, it says it is on the new iBooks as in the 700's? If that is the case, then I could totally see them having sent the demos to the stores with the intention of releasing X.1.5, but then MS pulls their strings and boom, X.1.4. I cannot believe that Apple would fall for any of MS's bull. Yes, we needed the support in 98, but not now. Apple is very self sufficient. God, please don't let the MS IE rumors be true.

BeerDrinker29

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2002
Yep, you got it right. If you read the thread on Spymac it says that it is ONLY installed on the NEW ibooks.. so maybe this MS thing is preventing the update :(

BeerDrinker29

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2002
Just saw this one AppleInsider:
"I just came back from the Newport Beach Apple store because I wanted to check out the new iBooks that had arrived yesterday.
When you choose the "about this computer" in the finder, it shows the rev as 10.1.5."

http://forums.appleinsider.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=5&t=000784

So, that's three independent accounts of 10.1.5 on the ibooks.. down with Microsoft for preventing my fast iDisk access.

Backtothemac

macrumors 601
Jan 3, 2002
San Destin Florida
Well, that is it. My David Coursey Experiment will probably last longer than planned. I have had it MS if this is true. I just cannot believe that Jobs would fall for that kind of crap. We are Apple's customers, screw MS. They are becoming a disease on our systems.

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
Yeah, I don't get this whole thing about the Apple Stores getting in trouble for having 10.1.5 and all that nonsense. This isn't the first time that Apple has shipped new products with newer operating systems than what's been released to the general public!

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
So let me clear this up.

Mac OS X 10.1.5 is only being shipped on the new iBooks. And, if previous rumors prove me right, Mac OS X 10.1.5 is already on the Xserve. I would say that Apple has already done w/o Microsoft in their update by instaling a newer version of their OS on a new Apple product, which may mean that Apple will not wait for MS and IE, which means that 10.1.5 may be just around the corner. Just my assumption.

Fear the King.

chmorley

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2002
Denver, CO
So let me clear this up.

I don't know anything other than what's been posted by other people, but I will restate it as fact. I truly have nothing to add, but would like to post this as fact so everyone knows I have nothing to say, and isn't forced to speculate about it. In addition, I will speculate about something else others have been discussing at length elsewhere.

Tiauguinho

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2002
The Netherlands
chmorley...

May I say, and I'm being truly honest, that your post was completely insane, and that in my most modest opinion, it represents 2 things...

1. Think Different!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. A very good way to cheer up when you're having a very bad day!

palala

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2002
Long Island
BACKTOTHEMAC

Originally posted by Backtothemac
I would find it difficult to believe this. Here is the reason. Having worked for Apple, I can tell you that the NDA is very tight, and they do enforce it.

I have to ask. It appears to be a lot of peoples dream here, why are you no longer working for Apple? Are you even allowed to say what you used to do?

Elan0204

macrumors 65816
Apr 16, 2002
Chicago, IL
I went to a local Apple store 2 days ago to see one in person for the first time. I didn't check the OS on the ibook, but the powerbooks on display were running 10.1.5.

Backtothemac

macrumors 601
Jan 3, 2002
San Destin Florida
Re: BACKTOTHEMAC

Originally posted by palala

I have to ask. It appears to be a lot of peoples dream here, why are you no longer working for Apple? Are you even allowed to say what you used to do?

Yea, I actually did. I was a campus rep for them. Basically, I setup a usergroup for people with Macs. Comunicated with local developers, and was a presence on campus. I ran a website through the school and people could ask me support questions. I also worked display booths for them, and coordinated leads between the faculty and with Apple. I don't do it any longer because I graduated. Now I am just waiting for my wife to finish her degree before moving on. Apple is a great company, but you have to sign a strict NDA, and live by it.

I am working on my Apple certs right now, and hopefully will work for them in the future.

palala

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2002
Long Island
Re: Re: BACKTOTHEMAC

Originally posted by Backtothemac

Yea, I actually did. I was a campus rep for them. Basically, I setup a usergroup for people with Macs. Comunicated with local developers, and was a presence on campus. I ran a website through the school and people could ask me support questions. I also worked display booths for them, and coordinated leads between the faculty and with Apple. I don't do it any longer because I graduated. Now I am just waiting for my wife to finish her degree before moving on. Apple is a great company, but you have to sign a strict NDA, and live by it.

I am working on my Apple certs right now, and hopefully will work for them in the future.

Thanks. That sounds pretty cool. Good luck, I hope you do get to work for them again someday!

mfiske

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2002
Uhm, maybe this is gonna sound stupid, but...

...why doesn't someone check the build number of the Internet Explorer running on the 10.1.5 iBooks? The most recent publicly available IE build number is 4415.2 (v5.1.4). Maybe they didn't wait for MicroSoft because they didn't HAVE to wait for MicroSoft...

Mark.

Backtothemac

macrumors 601
Jan 3, 2002
San Destin Florida
Re: Uhm, maybe this is gonna sound stupid, but...

Originally posted by mfiske
...why doesn't someone check the build number of the Internet Explorer running on the 10.1.5 iBooks? The most recent publicly available IE build number is 4415.2 (v5.1.4). Maybe they didn't wait for MicroSoft because they didn't HAVE to wait for MicroSoft...

Mark.

It is the same in X.1.5 and X.2 as the current build. That was the first thing that I checked on mine that I installed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.