1,000 shot in Chicago so far this year

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Apr 26, 2017.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

https://www.yahoo.com/news/1-000-shot-chicago-far-215930549.html
    wonder what it will take to change course there?

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Build better relationships between the police and the communities they work in would be a good start. Also cutting down on the illegal flow of guns from Indiana would be helpful to reduce shootings.

3. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

wonder what their unemployment numbers are and if it's affordable to get an education there.

4. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

And - an idle question this, - would that extraordinary statistic (I know of no country in Europe - let alone a single, solitary, city in that continent - which would have such statistics, barely a third into the year) - have anything whatsoever to do with the - um - availability of guns, and the right to bear them, buy them, own them, and - er - use them?

5. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Chicago is pretty strict when it comes to guns. guns are not the problem, criminals are .so the question really is how do you give them something to do other than crime.

6. poloponies macrumors 68030

The NRA will have you believe that all gun owners are godly, upstanding, responsible individuals but (and I don't want to scare the youngsters out there) there are people who will sell guns for a profit to anyone. So even though Chicago has gun laws, Chicago is not a tiny island in the Pacific, it is surrounded by states that hand out guns to all takers -- who then sell guns to anyone who pays.

7. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

so laws are not stopping criminals? no way.............

8. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

9. RootBeerMan macrumors 6502

RootBeerMan

The same crap is not happening in other cities in the region or next door in Indiana. The surrounding states have deep respect for the 2nd Amendment and liberal laws concerning ownership and carrying. Unlike Chicago, they do not experience anything approaching the violence there. Get rid of the ruling regime there would be a step in the right direction, as would police reform. Doing something about the West Side and South Side gangs would be a major step. Not sure what can be done about the gang culture in those parts of the city, but they are the source of the shootings. All of them are armed to the teeth and would rather face jail than death at the hands of a rival gang member.
    Vice ran a piece on them just a day or so ago that was very enlightening. Things to remember. It's not the guns that are the problem. It's the politicians who kick the can down the road. It's the gangs. The lack of jobs, (back to the politicians on that one). And lack of decent education.

10. Rhonindk macrumors 68020

Rhonindk

Chicago appears to have a problem of their own making. It does need a serious regime change.

11. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

More guns + birth control would solve this problem after a decade or so.

12. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

sure they can shoot each other even more solves that problem.

13. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

actually if we could lock them all in a building with a cache of guns and then blow the building up after one side wins I think that would be the better solution.

14. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

I blame EDM and its controversial lack of lyrics.

15. RootBeerMan macrumors 6502

RootBeerMan

Something tells me that EDM ain't a big player in the West and South sides of Chiraq.

16. duffman9000 macrumors 68000

duffman9000

17. RootBeerMan macrumors 6502

RootBeerMan

They have ammunition control in Illinoid. It doesn't work. Neither would Rock's idea.

18. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

I'm blaming it just the same. And Planned Parenthood. And the EPA. And Oscar winning film composer Hans Zimmer.

19. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Has anyone ever looked into a--hole control? People who are capable of killing will do it whether or not the have a gun. Guns aren't the issue, a-holes are the issue.

20. duffman9000 macrumors 68000

duffman9000

I should have posted Chris Rock's joke lol.

21. RootBeerMan macrumors 6502

RootBeerMan

I've heard it. I'm a fan. But there ain't nothing short of Asteroid 2017 gonna work magic in Chiraq.

22. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Being implemented In CA w/o a system to do it. Starts in July of this year iirc

23. Zenithal Suspended

As Juan Karachi said, it's criminals, not gun use. Criminals have been on the rise in Chicago major for decades now. A growing upper class and lower/working class with a diminishing middle class is the cause. I'm rather thankful these criminals can't aim well, otherwise the amount of fatalities would be higher.

24. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

Or just send them to Canada.

25. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

But the fatalities of innocent people would be less