1.1.1 AND MUSIC downloads not from iTunes

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wagwag22, Oct 3, 2007.

1. wagwag22 macrumors newbie

I haven't downloaded 1.1.1 yet , as I was concerned about some limewire tunes that my grandson downloaded onto the iPhone for me.

Do I have any cause for concern here ?

Is the fact that the tunes were not obtained from iTunes a problem for me with 1.1.1. ??

Any help appreciated

Wag:)

2. tsvb macrumors 6502

No, if they are imported into your iTunes library you can just add them to whatever playlist you sync to your iPhone. There is no way iTunes or the iPhone can decipher legal music from illegal music.

....or is there?

3. GTiPhone macrumors regular

No such thing as "limewire tunes".

Music downloaded using limewire is music downloaded from other people's shared music.

Short version, an mp3 is an mp3.

Don't be paranoid about installing 1.1.1 unless you are currently making calls with T-Mobile.

4. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

Yes even illegal music works on the iPhone :(

Edit: yes I know not all music on p2p's is illegal. One of my favorite band allows us to download and trade their live shows.

5. badtzmaru macrumors 6502

If you go to the genius bar with a buggy ipod, the geniuses will ask if you "downloaded" music from places other than iTunes.

if you say yes, they allege that such downloaded music hurts the ipod and causes it to hang/crash/etc.

it's silly but that appears to be apple's position. I've heard it from more than one genius too.

i acknowledge that a poorly ripped mp3 file or one with potentially buggy ID3 tags could be an issue but those same problems exist with an iTunes file or any DRM file for that matter.

OH and if you say you ripped your own CDs, the geniuses also start to question that, but not as strongly as "illegal" music.