Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MooseDPM

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
I have an AT&T contract and recently updated my phone to 1.1.1. I don't like it and want to go back to 1.0.2. I've read several articles about how to do it, but it is confusing as to whether a legit, locked AT&T phone will function as a phone after a downgrade. I have downloaded the 1.0.2 restore, INdependence, and AppTapp installer. I'm really confused by the statements that talk about re-unlocking or the phone function not working. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

MooseDPM

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
confirmation!

so everyone is clear, because to me it was ambiguous:

i have a locked at&t phone and was too much of a ***** to hack it. i updated to 1.1.1 and then decided it was time to try and hack. I went back to 1.0.2 successfully using the described methods. phone works. installed apptapper, why was i scared??! it's amazing!

MooseDPM

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
i used the method where you option-click restore, and select the 1.0.2 firmware, run apptapper, let it fail, activate phone, then run apptapper again.

i wouldn't touch a pc with a 10 foot pole. these are the mac forums!

vic32amg

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2007
Gilbert
Every one mentions a baseband issue when down grading. I have a ATT phone with 1.1.1. and want to go back, what will this do to base band? and what the hell does that mean? so i guess my question is, if I go back will it be 100% back or will it be back with a baseband issue, (which I don't even know what that means) ? :confused::confused::confused::eek::eek::eek:

MooseDPM

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
from what i gathered, in very simple terms, and possibly incorrect, the 1.1.1 update was 2 things: a firmware update from 1.0.2 to 1.1.1 and a baseband update, which i am thinking is a firmware update for the phone function itself. You can downgrade the 1.1.1 firmware, but the phone firmware stays updated. As long as you have AT&T, it is 100% fine.

erandall38

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2007
so everyone is clear, because to me it was ambiguous:

i have a locked at&t phone and was too much of a ***** to hack it. i updated to 1.1.1 and then decided it was time to try and hack. I went back to 1.0.2 successfully using the described methods. phone works. installed apptapper, why was i scared??! it's amazing!

can you give a link to that method please?
i have been looking for a mac version for a buddy

granka

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2007
Yes, can you give me a link to this method as well?

Another question, when you downgraded to 1.0.2 did you have to re enter all of your contacts???

Did it completly restore to factory with out any of your saved info???

JPyre

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2005
Pistolvania
Heres how I did it successfully.

It has all the links and clear directions, I didnt lose anything but maybe photos that I shouldve imported to iPhoto first and my exchange account from work (which isnt synced to my mac).

Just make sure address book is synced properly, all my voicemails were fine.

strurtle

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2007
This one AT&T csr is an idiot. My edge and voicemail suddenly stopped working. She told me that I had to restore my iphone and it'll work again. I had 1.0.2 and after the restore went to 1.1.1.

Stupid me, I listened to her and nothing worked. So I called back and another csr helped me out and said it was on their side and that she was going to fix the issue. She did. I was pretty upset that I didn't have to go to 1.1.1.

Now I'm back to 1.0.2 with all the great apps.

Gooose

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2007
iphone downgrade

can i downgrade an iphone which has the version 1.1.1 from factory to version 1.0.2?

(I bought it yesterday and it came with the 1.1.1 version)

JPyre

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2005
Pistolvania
can i downgrade an iphone which has the version 1.1.1 from factory to version 1.0.2?

(I bought it yesterday and it came with the 1.1.1 version)

Yes you can, I wouldn't go sim-unlocking it yet, but you can downgrade and install apps just fine, look for my post a few posts up for a link to the directions.

sysiphus

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2006
Thanks SO MUCH for posting this! I'd never "hacked" my legit iPhone, and blindly gone to 1.1.1, but now I get to put FUN apps on my phone! Not to mention that I get free ringtones etc back...whew. Life is good again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.