Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 30, 2004
Riga, Latvia
Hi!

I'm about to buying an Apple Portable.
Until WWDC i focused my mind on Top-End iBook (14", 1,2 Ghz).
But, as I see in WWDC Keynote and Apple's Homepage, some of the upcoming Mac OS X Tiger tehnologies (Core Image and Core Video) are not supported by the ATI Radeon 9200 Video Chip, which is built on iBooks.
So, it's a little frustrating to spend money for a Laptop, which is not Future-proof in 6 Months forward - view.

So, I would be happy to hear Your meanings and suggestions in this aspect.

Thanks, Mikus

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
how about 12" ibook now and selling it after G5 powerbooks are shipping? :) for sure if you really don't NEED the extra power NOW, don't buy the powerbook. it is having a next-gen chip in the next revision, but the ibook however will keep on using the G4 for some time. so in other words, ibook will not be obsolete as soon as powerbook, however powerbook has better graphics card.

or, you can always try to find a used one if you really like metal that much... however, i recommend the 12" ibook and not the larger one. between 14" ibook and 12" powerbook i'd definetely recommend the powerbook. between 12" and 12" it's tougher one.

thehuncamunca

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2003
NJ
i'm still going for the 14" ibook since the screen is bigger, the 12" in the powerbook and ibook is just too small despite the fact there's the same number of pixels in both the 14 and 12"
i suggest you go to an applestore and check both of them out, cause you may find like i did that 12" screen is just not big enough

mikus said:
Hi!

I'm about to buying an Apple Portable.
Until WWDC i focused my mind on Top-End iBook (14", 1,2 Ghz).
But, as I see in WWDC Keynote and Apple's Homepage, some of the upcoming Mac OS X Tiger tehnologies (Core Image and Core Video) are not supported by the ATI Radeon 9200 Video Chip, which is built on iBooks.
So, it's a little frustrating to spend money for a Laptop, which is not Future-proof in 6 Months forward - view.

So, I would be happy to hear Your meanings and suggestions in this aspect.

Thanks, Mikus

JzzTrump22

macrumors 65816
Apr 13, 2004
New York
If i were you, i would look at the special deals page in the apple website. Get a used iBook or you might be able to find a really good deal on a new one in that section.

netytan

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2004
The graphics card in the 12" Ibook is a perfectly good card by any standard. Though it wont be able to take advantage of the preformance increase gained by offloading to the GPU. But it will be able to run Tiger! And any features relient on CoreImage/Vidio will be offloaded to the CPU, or thats the way it has been explained to me :).

Also, i'd expect it to take a little longer than 6 months before Tiger gets released, between 6 and 12 months is much more likly.

TRe 12" Ibook is an amazing buy, but if you afford to by all means i would definatly get the 15" Powerbook! Still, I see little reason to get the 12" Powerbook over the Ibook, even/especially now.

Mark.

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
Core Image and Core Video are mostly for advanced graphics applications (and possibly for games). They also support some system-level eye candy, but if you're not a high-end user (and presumably you're not, since you're considering buying an iMac), I doubt you'll miss these features when Tiger is unveiled.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.