Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sammyman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 21, 2005
I like recording music with logic, and my wife is a photographer. I am thinking that we could benefit from two monitors, but I have never tried using this setup. Should I just get a massive 24", or get the two 22" monitors (which is actually cheaper). Nope, not an Apple display (too pricey).

Thanks

Xander562

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2006
I assume we're talking about the Dells? Could you give specific models?

If we're talking about the UltraSharp line, be aware that in the 24" models, there are more inputs, more USB ports, and media card readers built in. (Which could be useful with your wife being a photographer.)

So there is much more going on than just screen size, be aware of that.

sammyman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 21, 2005
2x 20" vs 24" = 24"
2x 22" vs 24" = 2x 22"

My title is wrong. I can't use my coupon on the 20", so I would have to get the 22"s. It would be ~$60 more for the 24". The 2 20" monitors would only be about $10 less than the 22"s. Why would you like the 2 x 22" monitors more?

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
My title is wrong. I can't use my coupon on the 20", so I would have to get the 22"s. It would be ~$60 more for the 24". The 2 20" monitors would only be about $10 less than the 22"s. Why would you like the 2 x 22" monitors more?

For photography seeing more of the picture on a screen, especially when shooting high MP images, outweighs the advantage of having palettes, etc. on a second screen, although that's nice too.
But at 22" the difference is so small that the advantages of a dual-monitor setup actually outweigh the advantage of the bigger screen.

I hope that helps. :)

sammyman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 21, 2005
For photography seeing more of the picture on a screen, especially when shooting high MP images, outweighs the advantage of having palettes, etc. on a second screen, although that's nice too.
But at 22" the difference is so small that the advantages of a dual-monitor setup actually outweigh the advantage of the bigger screen.

I hope that helps. :)

Someone told me that the 24" monitor is actually 30% larger! So there is quite a big difference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.