1 27" Monitor or 2 24" Monitors?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by AwesomeKevin, Aug 1, 2012.

1. AwesomeKevin macrumors newbie

I'm not sure which one I should get right now. The 27" monitor is a Dell u2711. It is currently on sale. The 24" is the Dell u2410. Would the 27" be better than having two 24" monitors? I primarily will be using the displays for Photography as well as Video Editing.

Thanks!

2. hafr macrumors 68030

48>27

/discussion

3. markp99 macrumors member

I prefer dual monitors. While one large monitor is nice, I find it much cleaner for me to dedicate tasks to specific monitors. I am sure I'd mange to shuffle everything together on a single monitor.

In my current config, I know where everything is supposed to be. Unraveling a nest of open windows on a single monitor would be a pain. With 2 monitors, the nests are not as deep ;)

YMMV

4. robgendreau macrumors 68040

Working on the assumption that you don't already have a monitor, so we're talking a total of 1 27" vs 2x24", I'd go with two.

The 27" at Mac resolution can show two 8.5x11 pages nicely, but if you are doing photos, especially in 16:9, or doing video, it's one window at a time. And it's nice to be able to compare edits to the original, even if it's just retouching, and even if the software allows a one-click flash back to the original.

Rob

5. buffalo macrumors 65816

I doubt anyone is very privy to Dell's update plans, but could this be a sign of a pending refresh? I've been looking at getting this monitor or ATD for the last couple weeks, and haven't seen this low from Dell. Seems like a pretty good deal, unless a better monitor is on the way (USB 3.0...).

6. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

It's very much a preference thing and depends on which apps you use. My main uses are Xcode and FCP X and I am finding that 2x24" is not working as well for these as a 27" would. Maybe 2x27" will do the trick? ...If I can fit them on my desk.

7. Lance-AR macrumors 6502

I would get the one 27 so you can later add a second 27.

8. jterp7 macrumors 6502a

yes join the dual TB display club on MR lol. And soon it will be dual 32 rTB displays.

9. AwesomeKevin thread starter macrumors newbie

What part of using FCP X on 2x24" monitors did you find less efficient/not working as well?

I would love to do that but I don't have that much space or that much money to spend.

I purchased the two 24" monitors as it was on sale today and I felt that made more sense for my usage.