1-2yr Film/SFX Schools on West Coast?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by OneTraveler, Jan 21, 2010.

1. OneTraveler macrumors member

I have some students interested in looking for 1 or two year programs focused on film production and/or post production located on the West Coast. I've started my search but I was wondering if you all had any ideas about reputable locations. Anything would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

2. polterdice macrumors newbie

There's plenty of options available, it's more about what you're willing to pay.

I'm cheap, so I prefer the community colleges in CA. LACC and SMC offer some decent pre-, production, and post- courses with the opportunity of transferring to a four year. With residency (1 year) the cost of tuition is $26/unit currently and most classes in this category is 3 units.

Many are bitter about education in film production because here it's a business without a guarantee. More important is the experience that comes mostly from on the job routines. Thus internships are better in many situations. It's all about proving you can do what needs to be done.

3. lesreaper2009 macrumors member

Film School?

I know that film school is for some people, but to be honest I learned a ton from this cheap 2 Day DVD Set to set-up our current documentary. It was recommended by a friend that had majored in film for 50k a year from college.

SFX using AE, Maya, 3dS Max can be had from Lynda.com, Video Co-Pilot, or other on-line venues pretty readily.